Kirkland Village Glencairn Parish Church, Glencairn
Description: Kirkland Village Glencairn Parish Church
Date Listed: 3 August 1971
Historic Scotland Building ID: 10312
OS Grid Coordinates: 280906, 590471
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1941, -3.8724
Location: A702, Kirkland, Dumfries and Galloway DG3 4HD
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
William MacCandlish of Dalry, architect. Built 1836. Gothic
church with north transept, forming T-plan; central 4-stage
square tower on south wall. Symmetrical. Rubble-built with
ashlar dressings. Door and window openings all hood-moulded
with pointed heads, windows to body of church with elaborate intersecting (wooden) tracery and small panes. Tower has door
with fanlight, moulded and shafted reveals, facing south. 2nd
stage reaches above eaves, each face with tall lancet to 2nd
stage; blind quatrefoil to 3rd stage, louvred lancet belfry
opening to 4th. Clasping pilaster strips become octagonal
angle shafts at top stage, these rise above crenellated
parapet, with pinnacles. 2 large windows to each side of
tower. East and west gables each have door (blocked west)
below short gallery window and full-height flanking windows.
Transept has unusual arrangement of large arched opening with
north window and 3 doors recessed on north wall. Saw-tooth
skews; pinnacles over gables and over clasping angle pilaster
strips. Low vestry in north east re-entrant angle. Slate
Interior: 3 galleries each on Tuscan columns, octagonal oak
pulpit and communion table on south wall not original; white
marble monument on east wall by H. Rouw of London, to Walter
Ross Munro (d.1816); also bronze bust of Rev Patrick
Borrowman by James Paterson ARSA, (1900) removed from Free
Church circa 1960; leaded glass window dated 1948.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
H Colvin, BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS
1600-1840, 1978. p.529
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. 2 schemes proposing
alterations to church by Peter MacGregor Chalmers not
executed (drawings in church).
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.