Kilmodan Kirk, Clachan of Glendaruel, Kilmodan
Description: Kilmodan Kirk, Clachan of Glendaruel
Date Listed: 20 July 1971
Historic Scotland Building ID: 11800
OS Grid Coordinates: 199512, 684184
Latitude/Longitude: 56.0086, -5.2174
Location: Clachan of Glendaruel, Argyll and Bute PA22 3AA
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Kilmodan Church, burial ground, sculptured stones & burial aisle, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
1783. Georgian. T-plan. Rendered front. Harled ends and rear. Piended slated roof. Band-courses. Segmental-arched windows. Inset (from earlier kirk) with shields, one inscribed 'SDC/1610.' Central pavilion with oculi and 'bird-cage' belfry. Interior: Lit by cupola. Lofts in 3 arms. 2 long narrow Communion tables. Memorial to Rev John Maclaurin
(Minister 1689-1699) and his famous sons.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
NSA TSA Groome Hay 'Post-Reformation Churches'.
In Ecclesiastical use. Renovated 1937. On site of earlier church and near site of St. Modan's Chapel. Sir Dugald Campell of Auchinbreck, 1st Bt., had his chief stronghold at Auchinbreck Castle (fragmentary remains at Achnabreck Farm) which had passed to his great-great-grandfather
Scheduled Area: 23 December 2004. SAM 90318.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.