Lamlash, Former St George's Uf Church, Isle of Arran
Description: Lamlash, Former St George's Uf Church
Date Listed: 4 June 1992
Historic Scotland Building ID: 12994
OS Grid Coordinates: 203225, 631764
Latitude/Longitude: 55.5398, -5.1201
Location: Bungalow Road, Margnaheglish, North Ayrshire KA27 8SW
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1885. Early English. Cream sandstone polished ashlar dressings, with pale brown sandstone courses. E bay narrower than 5 western bays, stone spire in SE re-entrant angle.
E ELEVATION: arched and gabletted central porch with trefoil head and gabletted buttresses. Plain tympanum. Small lancets flanking, with full-height buttresses beyond. 3-light lancet window above, with small cinquefoil window in gablehead. Lancets and cinquefoil have hoodmoulds. Spire has 2-stage buttresses tower at base with single lancet at ground and tall Y-traceried window at 1st with gablet having triple blind lancet in head. Frieze at top of tower with inset panels, cornice and square pyramidal spire with lucarnes and iron weathervane. S side of tower and spire similar to front, N and E sides have upper part of tower cut by roof. Body of church is 5-bay, with prominent gabletted buttresses separating bays, each of which contains lancet. 3 slated louvered ventilators on each slope of roof which is slated. W end and interior not seen.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
Groome, vol IV. p452.
Erected by Duke of Hamilton to replace a church of 1774. Being converted to arts centre (1992).
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.