Lamlash, Former Manse of St George's United Free Church, Including Boundary Wall, Kilbride
Description: Lamlash, Former Manse of St George's United Free Church, Including Boundary Wall
Date Listed: 28 January 1994
Historic Scotland Building ID: 13438
OS Grid Coordinates: 203235, 631784
Latitude/Longitude: 55.5400, -5.1200
Location: Bungalow Road, Margnaheglish, North Ayrshire KA27 8LB
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1898. 2-storey, 3-bay, Gothic-detailed former manse, rectangular-plan with lower 2-storey service to wing to rear. Stugged and snecked, squared grey sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings, harled gables and service wing, grey slate roof. Pointed-arch windows with chamfered arrises to front, 2-pane timber sash and case frames, gabled dormerheads. Deep bracketted eaves, wide bargeboards with decorative posts and collars to front. Coped end stacks.
FRONT ELEVATION: panelled door to centre approached by steps, pointed fanlight, stop-chamfered doorcase, decorative timber gabled porch on ashlar flanks; tripartite window to left, bipartite dormerhead above; 4-light canted window to right with stone slate roof, bipartite above at full-height gable. Left and right return elevations blank.
REAR ELEVATION: single and 2-storey service wing advanced at centre, window to ground floor and dormerhead above at main elevation left and right.
INTERIOR: decorative cornices, some original chimneypieces and joinery. BOUNDARY WALL: ashlar-coped rubble boundary wall.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
Rev William Ewing, ed, ANNALS OF THE FREE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND (1914),
Vol II, p66; LAMLASH PARISH CHURCH 1886-1986 (1986).
Lamlash Free Church congregation disjoined from Brodick in 1885 and worshipped in the public school until their church was opened in 1892, the manse being built in 1898. The church became the United Free Church at the union of the Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900, subsequently forming one of the congregations of Lamlash Parish church at the union with the Church of Scotland in 1929.
St George's Church was in use until 1947, the manse remaining the manse for the united congregation until circa 1990.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.