Description: Lamlash, Whitehouse Lodge
Date Listed: 28 January 1994
Historic Scotland Building ID: 13451
OS Grid Coordinates: 202585, 630906
Latitude/Longitude: 55.5318, -5.1296
Possibly George Paterson, late 19th century. Single storey and attic, basically rectangular-plan lodge. Coursed bull-faced red rubble sandstone, ashlar dressings, piended and gabled slate roof with crenellated terracotta ridge tiles. Base course, eaves course; windows with thickly moulded timber frames, deep lintels, some with scrolled pediments, piended dormers; deep boarded eaves; coped and harled ridge stacks.
FRONT ELEVATION: panelled door with ashlar doorcase and scroll pediment to slightly recessed bay at left, projecting window to right, cross window above with decorative pediment; curtain wall recessed toright masking yard.
LEFT RETURN ELEVATION: window to centre flanked by narrow ventilator-slit windows, each with scrolled pediment, dormer above.
REAR ELEVATION: cross window to centre, door to left, canted former, outbuildings with stack to far left.
INTERIOR: not seen.
Robert McLellan, THE ISLE OF ARRAN (1970), pp186, 190, 194.
The Whitehouse (demolished), for which this building was the lodge, was the home of the Patersons while factors to the Duke of Hamilton.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.