Description: Ruin of Old Abbey Southannan, Fairlie
Date Listed: 14 April 1971
Historic Scotland Building ID: 14311
OS Grid Coordinates: 220928, 653842
Latitude/Longitude: 55.7448, -4.8544
There is also a scheduled monument, Southannan Mansionhouse, Fairlie, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Ruin of what was once an extensive structure, having had a
high enclosing wall, with a courtyard and an arched entrance
porch to the west, defended with shot-holes; there has been
a considerable range of dwelling-house accommodation,
2 stories in height along the north side and smaller
buildings on the east. The lands of Southannan were granted
to Lord Semple in 1504 but the castle probably dates from the
end of the 16th century, some of the existing remains
appearing to be still more modern. The chapel that was
attached to it has entirely disappeared.
Ecc. Arch. vol. iii pp. 607-9 plan fig. 1591 illustrations
figs. 1592 and 1593
Scheduled Ancient Monument, No 333.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.