Tynet, Roman Catholic Chapel of St Ninian, Buckie
Description: Tynet, Roman Catholic Chapel of St Ninian
Date Listed: 26 January 1971
Historic Scotland Building ID: 1609
OS Grid Coordinates: 337886, 861252
Latitude/Longitude: 57.6369, -3.0420
Location: Craibstone, Moray AB56 5HH
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1755, renovated 1787 and early 20th century, restored 1951,
Ian G Lindsay, architect. Simple long, low single storey
building with 10-bay S elevation with regular fenestration.
Harled, ashlar dressings. Plain square-headed entrance in
penultimate SW bay, doorway to sacristy in end E bay. 6
windows in rear N elevation; mainly 12-pane glazing. Ball
finial at W gable apex (circa 1787); stack at E gable; graded
Banffshire slate roof.
INTERIOR: simple whitewashed interior. Principal doorway
opens into entrance lobby with baptistry separated by flat
balustered railings. Doorway to church framed by (' re-used)
corniced doorpiece with fluted Corinthian engaged columns and
closed by pair 18th century fielded panelled doors with
modern partial glazing. Simple grey painted pews and
confessional; chancel separated by turned altar rails and
framed by reeded pilasters supporting simple wooden arch.
Small octagonal pulpit (1787) with octagonal sounding board,
fielded shaped panelling and moulded cornices.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xii (1842), p. 122. Peter F Anson,
'THE BANFFSHIRE BETHLEHEM, ST NINIAN'S TYNET' (guide book,
George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION
CHURCHES (1957), pp. 153, 267, pl. 22b. Robert McDonald,
CHURCHES AND PLACES OF CATHOLIC INTEREST IN MORAY (1980), no
p. nos. Angus J Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY
(1981), p. 49.
Ecclesiastical buiding in use as such.
First surviving Roman Catholic church to be built in Scotland
after the Reformation. Replaced church sited in St Ninian's
burial ground, Chapelford, desecrated by soldiers in 1728.
Built by Father Godsman, incorporating dwelling of a 'poor
woman' as a 'cot for his sheep', as inconspicuous place of
worship. Until the building of St Ninian's, mass had been
celebrated in barns, frequently at night and the priest
travelling the countryside disguised as a farmer. With the
Braes of Glenlivet and the Arisaig-Moidart area of Lochaber,
the Enzie in historically strongly Roman Catholic.
St Ninian's was originally thatched, but slated in 1787,
re-using slates from the abandoned church at Chapelford.
Upgraded B to A, 24.3.88
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.