Description: Talisker House
Date Listed: 5 October 1971
Historic Scotland Building ID: 1787
OS Grid Coordinates: 132443, 830212
Latitude/Longitude: 57.2839, -6.4416
Early 18th century core with later additions; harled, ashlar dressings. 2 storey and attic, 6 wide bays; 2 bay piended projecting wing to front (west) elevation with porch in left re-entrant, single storey addition with 5 long multi-pane windows in right re-entrant and bow window
to centre of wing; have crenellated parapets. 5 piended dormers with decoratively carved wood jambs; 2 stair windows to rear; 12-pane and lying pane glazing; end and ridge stacks; slate roof.
Interior: projecting front wing (circa 1780) contains dining room at ground floor and drawing room above. Original ornate plaster ceiling in drawing room. Dining room plaster ceiling dates from 1865 when bow window added.
CLAN MACLEOD MAGAZINE; vol 8, (1979) nos. 48, 49, 50.
Projecting front wing. Boswell and Johnson stayed at Talisker in 1773. Area by front door paved with stone from beach... "injudiciously paved" according to Boswell. Talisker originally belonged to Macleods of Dunvegan and was inherited by the second son, or next heir.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.