Description: John O'Groat Mills and Mill Bridge over Huna Burn
Date Listed: 28 November 1984
Historic Scotland Building ID: 1804
OS Grid Coordinates: 337174, 973310
Latitude/Longitude: 58.6431, -3.0841
1750,1845,1860,part converted 1901, and new build 1901. Large. south facing 3-storey, L-plan rubble mill, tooled rubble dressings. 3-storey kiln(1901) takes up outer 2 bays of east wing, with entrance at base, 2 large cast-iron stays 2 wallhead vents and 2 tall square ridge vents. Mill entrance to right in south elevation of re-entrant, with 1st floor loft door above and projecting
chute gable breaking wallhead above that. Lean-to wheel-house abuts west elevation masking overshot wheel served by lade carried on rubble piers. Caithness slate roof. Smaller 2-storey, 2-bay rubble mill flanks west side of lade (which serves both mills) and from which water is
deflected to serve north gable wheel. Further irregular single and 2-storey rubble range comprised of 1845 workshop/stable 1896 meal girna completes complex; Caithness slate roofs.
BRIDGE; 1651 Cromwellian soldiers. Small rubble bridge with dressed rubble arch ring;
Ed. Donald Omand, THE CAITHNESS BOOK (1972) p1. 24, John
Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND, ii, (1977)
pp. 189-190. Information courtesy of owner.
All internal machinery in situ<> Bridge links mill with Mill
Cottage, and is believed to be the oldest military bridge in the Highlands.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.