Description: Drygrange House (drygrange Nursing Home, Formerly St Andrew's College),including Garden Terrace Wall
Date Listed: 4 June 1991
Historic Scotland Building ID: 18835
OS Grid Coordinates: 357783, 635459
Latitude/Longitude: 55.6109, -2.6717
1887-1889, Charles C H Kinnear and J M Dick Peddie; additions and alterations 1910, J M Dick Peddie. Substantial additions at time of change of use to St Andrew's College, 'early 1960's large red sandstone neo-baronial mansion.
ORIGINAL HOUSE: 3-storey, basement and attic; L-plan with 4-storey circular entrance tower in re-entrant angle of entrance court; open service court to rear of N wing. Asymmetrically composed with Scots Renaissance detailing: meandering string courses; corbelled pepperpot turrets with swept fish-scale slated conical roofs at angles; moulded corbel tables; balustraded parapets; crowstepped gables; pedimented dormer-headed windows with renaissance finials; steep-pitched slated roofs. Regular axial and wallhead stacks. Windows moulded throughout, mullioned and transomed at principal floors; plain plate-glass sash and case glazing to upper floors.
ENTRANCE FRONT: entrance in angle: circular, of Castle Fraser type,
4 stages with crenellated parapet. Splayed balustered staircase with decorative wrought-iron lamps to entrance. Elaborately detailed columned doorcase: billet detail at column neck; frieze with triglyphs and guttae, sculptured detailing at metopes; block pediment above cornice and sculptured heraldic panel with inscription in pediment above ('et industria probitate'), flanked by obelisk finials raised on balls. Stepped string-course at 1st floor, corbel table of multiple billet mouldings at 2nd and at parapet (crenellated parapet 1910). 3-storey turret in re-entrant angle corbelled out at 2nd floor level over squinch arch. Gable with canted bay in re-entrant angle to left of tower, full-height, with attic gable.
ENTRANCE ELEVATION, S ARM: 3 bays to right of tower have simple regular treatment of single-light windows; 4th bay shallow rectangular bay with 3-light windows, balustraded parapet at bipartite dormer, richly decorated; circular tower with fish-scale slated roof in re-entrant angle of projecting gable to right, latter with corbelled angle turrets. Basement entrance in main re-entrant angle between S wing and W cross-arm has bolection-moulded architrave and heavy nailed oak door with thistle-pattern wrought-iron hinges as at front door.
ENTRANCE ELEVATION, E ARM: main house extends for 2 bays;outer bay has shallow rectangular tripartite bay with balustraded parapet forming balcony to tripartite above; 2 small timber dormers; corbelled angle turret at outer bay. Lower service range extending to left, crowstepped gable off-centre with decorative 'Maybole-type detailing to stack coping, grouped with circular angle tower. Unsympathetic reconstruction of balustraded area wall in front of courtyard elevations, 1990/91.
N ELEVATION, (SERVICE COURT): segmentally-arched pend to service court in end gable of 2-storey and attic range; single-storey ranges beyond.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical composition of parapets and crowstepped gables of service ranges masked at left by 1960s building and by single -storey flat roofed additions in NE re-entrant angle.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay main block, central part regular 3-bay except at 1st floor with asymmetrical 3-light window on left, 2-light on right; flanked, on left, by full-height canted bay, corbelled out twice to reach square; on right, by rectangular tripartite bay rising to entablature and balustraded parapet,gable with single-light window above. End elevation of W wing recessed to left; full-height circular angle tower bay corbelled out at 1st floor level; rectangular bay in re-entrant angle at 1st floor with balustraded parapet. Stair and terrace on segmental arch with balustraded parapet, rises round it a SW angle, a 1904 addition. S terraced garden laid out at same time (1904). Unfortunate modern fire-escape attached to W elevation, of corrugated sheet iron.
INTERIOR: much of original and 1910-14 refurbishment surviving. 17th century style scots renaissance plaster ceilings and timber panelling throughout.
ENTRANCE HALL: wainscotted with cast-iron detailed radiator cases; decorative terrazzo floor; 2-tier broken pedimented ionic pilastered chimney-piece with neo-georgian cast-iron register and grate; mirror overmantle; jacobethan plaster ceiling and strapwork cornice at upper landing. Rich timber architraved and pedimented doorcases. Central staircase with jacobethan-detailed newels and finials, and half-balusters alternating with full-height balusters. Very elaborate chimneypiece in wainscotted dining room, with coupled half-fluted doric columns below, and coupled corinthianesque fluted columns above flanking 2 shell niches; broken pediment above. 'boudoir' with bowed angle (at W) now subdivided (main part not seen): elaborate plaster ceilings, and bolection-moulded chimneypiece, of 1914 date.
DRAWING ROOM: neo-rococo style; elaborate plaster ceiling and cornice. Gilt border moulding and rococo sopra porte decoration;original gilt pelmet. Large L-plan addition, circa early 1960's at SE angle: red brick; plain 2-storey and attic elevations, with red sandstone canted bays advanced on S and E-facing ends. Pitched slated roof. Entrance in single-storey canted porch in SE re-entrant angle. Detached 1960's building at N (part of St Andrew's RC College): red brick; 3-storey with pitched slated roof and skylights. Stack at N gable end; gable at left of courtyard front with relief brick decoration in lozenge pattern; square stair bay with vertical glazing to right. Attached to original house at S by covered 1st floor passage.
Peddie and Kinnear plans, held by Dick Peddie and Mackay, architects; index at NMRS.
Category B since site has been impaired by subsequent alterations and addition; unaltered, the house would merit category A. Conservatory proposed in original plans, 1889, at W elevation, presumably not executed.
INTERIOR: billiard room on principal floor and upper floor not seen. 'Boudoir' plasterwork probably by Clappertons of Melrose, 1914.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.