Broomhill House with Walled Garden and Horsemill, Selkirk
Description: Broomhill House with Walled Garden and Horsemill
Date Listed: 16 March 1971
Historic Scotland Building ID: 19726
OS Grid Coordinates: 348305, 629640
Latitude/Longitude: 55.5577, -2.8211
Location: Midlem, The Scottish Borders TD7 4PS
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Late 18th century, 2-storey and attic, 3-bay farmhouse, extended circa 1820 with wing at right angles to SW forming L-plan, and service wing adjoining to NW to rear. Interior also remodelled at this time. Circa 1930 single-storey pavilion added to NW of circa 1820 wing. Harled with red sandstone margins.
SW ELEVATION: porch in re-entrant angle of circa 1820 wing, with 2-leaf panelled door and decorative fanlight with cast ornament in spandrels. Half-glazed inner door. Windows flanking to each floor, enlarged to earlier house. Advanced SW gable of wing pedimented with 2 windows to each floor. Single bay pavilion adjoining to NW. Service range recessed, window to each floor, modern attic dormer.
NE ELEVATION: rear; 2 windows at ground, tall stair window to centre at 1st floor, with enlarged window to left, window to right. 2-storey and attic service block adjoining advanced gable with door at ground and window to each floor of gable, NE elevation blank. Sash case windows with 12-pane glazing pattern. Grey slates, coped skews, ashlar stacks with simple cornice.
INTERIOR: extended and remodelled circa 1820, with fine plasterwork and chimneypieces. Some mid-20th century alterations. Entrance hall with scalloped ceiling rose, elaborate cornice with scroll, bead and Gothic pendentive motifs, continued across bracing arch. Simple cornice to stairwell, spiral stair with foliate cast-iron balusters. Principal rooms at ground and 1st floor with fine scroll and acanthus leaf cornices, circa 1820 fire surrounds of wood and composition with marble strips, classical style with frieze incorporating naturalistic ornament. WALLED GARDEN: to SW rubble coped, rubble walls, gates with stone overthrows to NE and SW, gates later.
HORSEMILL: at rear of house, formerly served now largely demolished steading to NE, recently restored. 6 rubble piers with ashlar dressings, supporting slated conical roof.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
J Ainslie, map of Selkirkshire, 1772. OS map, Selkirkshire, 1863.
Broomhill was formerly a working farm; the steading and associated cottages are now in separate ownership. The remodelling of the farmhouse in 1820 was probably by Edinburgh craftsmen; the interior plasterwork closely resembles interiors in Dundas Street, Edinburgh, and in Portobello, of circa 1820. The fire surrounds are also of a type made in Edinburgh circa 1820, by an as yet unknown firm of plasterers. The cast-iron stair balusters are a pattern commonly seen in the west.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.