Description: Bridgeness, Kinningars Park Dovecot Including Wall and Capped Pit Shaft
Date Listed: 25 November 1980
Historic Scotland Building ID: 22336
OS Grid Coordinates: 301401, 681289
Latitude/Longitude: 56.0144, -3.5831
Possibly late 17th century to early 18th century large lectern type rectangular plan dovecot with 18th to 19th century alterations to form housing for winding engine for nearby mining shaft. Rubble sandstone with red brick patching. Large round-arched openings to N and S. Tall slender round-arched opening to W.
INTERIOR: upper part has 415 brick nest boxes resting on stone slabs.
WALL AND CAPPED PIT SHAFT: section of rubble wall to S. Low circular sandstone rubble capped pit shaft with brick infill and flat concrete cap to W.
1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1854-6). R Jaques, FALKIRK AND DISTRICT (2001) p147. Gifford & Walker, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND - STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002) p269.
Important both as an impressive large dovecot which serves as a landmark in what is now Kinningars Park and as part of Bo'ness' mining history. It was the dovecot for Old Grange House, seat of the Cadells, which originally stood some distance to the W. New Grange House (now much altered) to the N had its own dovecot (no longer extant) as shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. The dovecot was altered to form a convenient housing for winding engine gear for the adjacent mine of which the capped pit shaft remains. This extra function was probably redundant by the 1850s. On the 1st edition map it is cited as a 'Dove Cot' and the shaft as an 'Old Pit'.
Category changed from C(S) to B, 23 March 2006.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.