Description: Pittencrieff Park, Statue of Andrew Carnegie
Date Listed: 19 December 1979
Historic Scotland Building ID: 25970
OS Grid Coordinates: 308694, 687443
Latitude/Longitude: 56.0711, -3.4683
Richard Goulden, sculptor, 1914; Ashburton of Thames Ditton, bronze founder; D H and J Newall of Dalbeattie, granite workers. Large bronze statue of Andrew Carnegie on stepped T-plan granite pedestal with large stepped square-plan granite base. Bronze foliate frieze to pedestal incorporating bronze plaque recording details of Carnegie's life to W side.
AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND, VOL 4: TAYSIDE, CENTRAL AND FIFE (circa 1985) pp409-14; John Gifford, FIFE, in 'The Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) p193; Bert McEwan, DUNFERMLINE - OUR HERITAGE (1998) pp184-85.
The sculpture was erected to commemorate the man responsible for the creation of the public park. The millionaire, who was himself born in Dunfermline, purchased Pittencrieff House and grounds in 1902 and opened the park to the public the following year. The park is included in the Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes. The statue was paid for by public subscription and erected while Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919) was still alive. See separate list descriptions for park buildings.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.