Gilmerton, the Drum, Mercat Cross, Edinburgh
Description: Gilmerton, the Drum, Mercat Cross
Date Listed: 14 July 1966
Historic Scotland Building ID: 28053
OS Grid Coordinates: 330097, 668756
Latitude/Longitude: 55.9068, -3.1197
Location: Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh EH17 8RX
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Dated 1892. Sited to SE of stables. Large sandstone ashlar cross of cruciform arms mounted on tall polygonal column, square base with inscription. Facsimilie of shaft and capital of Edinburgh Mercat Cross.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
M Cant THE VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH (1987), Vol 2 p62. H More-Nisbet DRUM OF THE SOMERVILLES (1920''' check), p23.
Inscription reads: "Erected in memory of the old Mercat Cross of Edinburgh which stood at The Drum from 1756 to 1866. This Monument was erected November 1882". Edinburgh's Mercat Cross was orginally sited to the E of St Giles Cathedral. It was dismantled and damaged in the process a number of times between 1558 and 1756 when it was removed and re-erected at The Drum where it remained until 1866. It was illustrated in situ in watercolour by James Drummond (1861) (NMRS Printroom). It was returned to Edinburgh and erected within a railing to the N of St Giles. In 1885 it was placed in its present position at the E end of St Giles Cathedral. Forms part of a Category A group with other buildings on The Drum Estate: The Drum, East Lodges (In Newton Parish Midlothian), Gardeners' Cottages, Icehouses, Stables, Steading, Walled Garden, West Lodge, Drumbank and North Gatepiers.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.