1-36 (inclusive Nos) Rosebank Cottages, Including Boundary Walls, Edinburgh
Description: 1-36 (inclusive Nos) Rosebank Cottages, Including Boundary Walls
Date Listed: 29 April 1977
Historic Scotland Building ID: 29656
OS Grid Coordinates: 324439, 673106
Latitude/Longitude: 55.9450, -3.2114
Location: Rosebank Cottages, Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh EH3 8BA
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Alexander MacGregor, 1860. 3 rows of 2-storey symmetrical flatted cottages with gardens front and back. 3 12-bay rows to S (Nos 1-8, 9-16, 17-24); dividing central avenue, with footpaths to the individual houses; 9-bay row to S (Nos 25-30); 6-bay row behind to SW (Nos 31-34); 3-bay row at rear (Nos 35-6). Squared and snecked sandstone; bull-faced sandstone quoins. Lugged architraves to openings; pillar-box fanlights to doors.
NE (FRONT) ELEVATIONS: panelled timber door to centre of each 3-bay section at ground; single windows to both floors of flanking bays and to centre of 1st floor (much reduced to Nos 25-30); no windows to centre of 1st floor above Nos 3 and 4.
SW (REAR) ELEVATIONS: external stair at right angles to terrace, to 1st floor balcony serve 6-bay sections; panelled timber door at either end of balcony flanked by single windows; small single-light window between door and innermost window; single windows to ground floor below; additional small single-light window in line with one aligned above.
Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof; raised stone skews, returned at bottom edges. Shouldered, corniced stacks to rows to N; coped and rendered stacks to rows to S; circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Decorative geometric-patterned ironwork handrails to steps and balconies.
INTERIORS: not seen 1997.
BOUNDARY WALLS: low coped boundary walls bordering gardens.
Does not appear on Post Office Directory map 1859, appears on Post Office Directory map 1860; J N Tarn WORKING CLASS HOUSING IN 19TH CENTURY BRITAIN (1971) pp 38, 87; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988), p265; C McKean EDINBURGH: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992), p136.
Developed by Sir James Gowans and 'built for the better class of mechanics and others'. Each flat was self-contained with a living room, two bedrooms, a scullery and water closet 'having a spring by which the opening of the door flushes the pan.'
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.