Montrose Air Station Buildings 46 and 47, Montrose
Description: Montrose Air Station Buildings 46 and 47
Date Listed: 15 June 1988
Historic Scotland Building ID: 38227
OS Grid Coordinates: 371782, 759414
Latitude/Longitude: 56.7255, -2.4627
Location: 1 Waldron Road, Montrose, Angus DD10 9BA
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Built 1913-14, altered and with steel secondary cladding added 1987-8; 2 of "Major Burke's Sheds", built as military aircraft sheds (hangars), their design that of Indian Army Shed, modified for aircraft use. Pre-fabricated in Glasgow for assembly on site. Large rectangular-plan and gabled, each with pair gables on east flank, their original openings lessened in size. Small outshots to rear (West). Original timber framing and corrugated iron cladding now concealed by secondary cladding.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
Information from Ian McIntosh of Montrose Aerodrome Museum Society. David J Smith ACTION STATIONS 7(1984) pp152-7.
Montrose is the oldest military airfield in Scotland being used from 1912.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.