Description: Montrose Air Station Building 48
Date Listed: 15 June 1988
Historic Scotland Building ID: 38228
OS Grid Coordinates: 371764, 759263
Latitude/Longitude: 56.7242, -2.4630
Built 1913-14 and unaltered, southernmost of "Major Burke's Sheds", built as military aircraft shed (hangar). Built in 1913-14 its design that of Indian Army Shed modified by Major Burke for aircraft use. Large, rectangular plan and gabled. Pre-fabricated in Glasgow for assembly on site. Timber frame clad and roofed in corrugated iron, pair gabled openings on east flank with sliding timber aircraft doors. Timber lean-to to South added during First World War.
Information from Ian McIntosh of Montrose Aerodrome Museum Society. David J Smith ACTION STATIONS 7 (1984) pp152-7.
"Major Burke's Sheds" are the only known example of their type in the UK and so, presumably in the world. Montrose is the oldest military airfied in Scotland being used from 1912.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.