Description: Nairn Railway Station, West and East Signal Boxes North (down) Platform.
Date Listed: 12 December 1986
Historic Scotland Building ID: 38455
OS Grid Coordinates: 288283, 856085
Latitude/Longitude: 57.5810, -3.8700
West signal box; probably 1885. White painted weather-boarded rectangular signal box with contrasting margins set on brick
base; doorway in small projecting porch under valanced lintel
fronted by narrow balcony and approached by short wooden
forestair. Continuous fenestration with 4-pane glazing to S
frontage, returning along E and W gables. End brick stack;
black felted roof with projecting eaves. East signal box; as
above but standing slightly lower and without balcony or
forestair. No stack.
John Hume, INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND ii (1977),
One signalman operates both boxes, bicycling between them
along the down platform. Inverness and Nairn Railway opened
1855; railway station re-built by Highland Railway in 1885.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.