Friars Carse Former Stables Including Beech Cottage, Dunscore
Description: Friars Carse Former Stables Including Beech Cottage
Date Listed: 26 June 1986
Historic Scotland Building ID: 4234
OS Grid Coordinates: 292443, 584874
Latitude/Longitude: 55.1465, -3.6891
Location: Holywood, Dumfries and Galloway DG2 0SA
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Mostly early 19th century, but principal (south east) range
re-modelled, with tall 2-stage tower built above, probably
circa 1873 (ie when house was enlarged). Stables; 4 single
storey ranges built around quadrangular court, pend central
on main range and at east end of range opposite, former (segmental-arched) at foot of tower, latter (round-arched)
beneath gabled dovecot. Tower and south east elevation built
of bullfaced red ashlar; remainder rubble-built; all with
ashlar dressings. Tower has rectangular opening in tall lower
stage; off-set upper stage has blind narrow openings to
elevastions, and piended roof with stone-bracketted eaves.
South east elevation (roughly symmetrical, and articulated by
advanced central and outer bays): 7 bays (excluding
additional bay to right), outer bays with segmental-headed
bipartites and bargeboarded jerkin roofs; cottage to right
with door and additional bipartite. North west range has slit ventilators and square-headed cartway to outer face; dovecot
(astride roof) has slated flanks and gabled apex ventilator (flight-holes on south west gable). Cartshed/garage in north
east range. All roofed with graded slates. Cobbled courtyard.
Tower above pend houses water tank which provided gravity
flow to house. 1598 armorial panel incorporated on south east
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.