Newhaven, New Lighthouse, Edinburgh
Description: Newhaven, New Lighthouse
Date Listed: 14 December 1970
Historic Scotland Building ID: 43712
OS Grid Coordinates: 325437, 677241
Latitude/Longitude: 55.9823, -3.1966
Location: Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh EH6 4TX
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
NEW LIGHTHOUSE: 1869, James Dove & Company, Edinburgh; first lit 1878. Final addition to pier extension, 1876. Cast-iron; 4-tiered, octagonal section with coved and stepped cornice, swept upper stage with portholes and projecting balcony on brackets. Glass light; decorative fenestration; cast-iron cap converges in semi-circular finial.
INTERIOR: not seen 1996.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
Does not appear on Wood's map, 1826; appears on 1874 PO Directory; ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND ed. F Gromme, Vol V p109; J Grant, OLD AND NEW EDINBURGH (1882) Vol III; T McGowran NEWHAVEN-ON-FORTH: PORT OF GRACE (1985); M Cant, VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH (1986) p154-155; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p602.
B Group with Newhaven Harbour and Old Harbour Light, Newhaven (see separate list entries). No longer used but relatively intact. Previously listed with Newhaven Harbour and Old Harbour Light (now listed separately).
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.