Buckhaven, Church Street and Randolph Street, Buckhaven Parish Church with Font, Gatepiers, Boundary, Leven
Description: Buckhaven, Church Street and Randolph Street, Buckhaven Parish Church with Font, Gatepiers, Boundary
Date Listed: 17 March 1999
Historic Scotland Building ID: 46068
OS Grid Coordinates: 335854, 698076
Latitude/Longitude: 56.1710, -3.0346
Location: Church Street, Methil, Fife KY8 1BW
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1899. Rectangular-plan, gothic-detailed 'aisled' church with octagonal pinnacles and bellcote. Narrow ashlar bands with broader bands to engaged octagonal buttresses rising as pinnacles. Base course and string courses incorporating hoodmoulds at 'nave' front. 2-stage sawtooth-coped buttresses; hoodmoulds with label-stops; pointed-arch openings; chamfered reveals.
NE (CHURCH STREET) ELEVATION: broad gable with engaged octagonal buttresses flanking centre bay with deeply moulded doorcase, stop-chamfered arrises to paired door with dividing pillar and panelled timber doors below traceried fanlight, large 4-light traceried window in upper stage, and small blind oculus below corbelled bellcote. Tall lancets to flanking bays and ball finials to outer angles.
SW ELEVATION: tall, narrow raised centre 3-light window to centre with small opening above and base of cross(') finial at gablehead. Low piended extension projecting at ground.
SE (RANDOLPH STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay elevation with dividing buttresses. Tall, narrow raised centre 3-light window to centre with wider tall 2-light windows in flanking bays.
NW (ELEVATION): mirrors above.
Mainly frosted glass. Stained glass windows detailed below. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped stepped skews with moulded skewputts; stone finials.
INTERIOR: panelled gallery fronts and supporting narrow columns retained in original position with lowered ceiling at gallery level, and gallery space converted to individual rooms. Timber pews retained but move from original position (see Notes). Chancel with carved timber Communion table, font and canted pulpit with flanking steps in front of tall, panelled timber, full-width organ. Narthex with stained glass over main door, inner wall with pointed-arch, tripartite, ashlar window, Crucifixion by Marjorie Kemp to centre light and flanking leaded diamond glazing (see Notes). Stained glass to N windows by Community Programme, that to S depicts churches of St Michael, St Andrew and St David.
FONT, GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: Octagonal stone font/bird bath inscribed 'SUFFER LITTLE CHILDREN TO COME UNTO ME'. Square-section, coped ashlar gatepiers (5) to Church Street. Semicircular-coped rubble and flat-coped boundary walls with inset railings.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
Gifford FIFE (1992), p106. F Rankin OLD BUCKHYNE REVISITED (1997).
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Formerly St David's Church. In 1972 the congregations of St Andrews and St Michael's Churches united with St David's to form the Buckhaven Parish Church. Church interior "upgraded" during the 1980s under a Community Programme scheme, the pews were originally fixed and faced the W with the organ console at the chancel step. Tripartite window to inner narthex wall from demolished St Michael's Church.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.