If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Garthdee Road, Garthdee House (scott Sutherland School of Architecture), Including Terrace Walls and
Date Listed: 30 April 2001
Historic Scotland Building ID: 47908
OS Grid Coordinates: 391430, 803120
Latitude/Longitude: 57.1189, -2.1431
William Smith, 1872; additions to E, Thomas Scott Sutherland, 1956 and Thomson Taylor Craig & Donald, 1969. 2-storey, basement and attic, 6-bay former villa, with Jacobean detailing. Tooled coursed grey granite ashlar, finely finished to margins. Ashlar base course; kneelered gables with stone finials to apexes.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; curvilinear-gabled entrance bay advanced to 3rd bay from right, chamfered Tudor-arched doorway to centre bay of ground floor, 2-leaf panelled timber door with leaded upper panels, leaded
fanlight, tooled panel above reading "Scott Sutherland School of Architecture", deeply chamfered angles to left and right with decoratively leaded windows inset, boldly corbelled to form right angles at 1st floor; 3 windows with hoodmould above to 1st floor; blind shield set in gablehead; fleur-de-lys stone finial to apex. Regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors of 2 flanking bays to right and bay to left. Basement enclosed by iron grill to bays to left. Bipartite window to ground floor of penultimate bay to left, single window to 1st floor; gabled bay slightly advanced to outer left, set-off buttress detail to angles, window to centre of ground and 1st floors, arrowslit opening set in gablehead, spherical finial to apex. Single storey billiard room wing adjoining to far left (see below).
SW ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-bay; 3-light rectangular-plan window advanced to centre bay of ground floor, balustraded parapet surmounting; pair of windows to 1st floor set below curvilinear gable with blind shield inset, fleur-de-lys finial to apex; gabled bays advanced to left and right, 3-light canted windows through ground and 1st floors, parapet with decorative spherical finials at angles, arrowslit openings set in gableheads, obelisk finials to apexes.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 6-bay; 3 recessed bays to left, modern flat-roofed addition to ground floor, tympany gable breaking eaves to centre bay, arrowslit opening inset; single window to 1st floor of bays to left and right. Gabled bay advanced to 3rd bay from right, 3-light canted window through ground and 1st floors, parapet with decorative spherical finials at angles, arrowslit opening set in gablehead, obelisk finial to apex; modern flues to re-entrant angle to right; railings enclosing basement of 2 bays to right, regular fenestration, gableted window breaking eaves to 1st floor of penultimate bay to right, blind shield set in gablethead; rooflight to right of attic floor. Substantial mid and later 20th century additions to outer right.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; gabled bay to left and ground floor of bay to centre obscured by mid 20th century additions; decorative leaded stair window near-centre at 1st floor with inset stained glass panels by Daniel Cottier, small window flanking to right. Gabled bay advanced to right; single storey gabled billiard room advanced to ground floor, round-arched roll-moulded stained glass window to centre, polygonal stone finial to apex, broad 5-light canted window to right return, broad glazed rooflights along ridge, iron ventilator to apex; window off-centre to left at 1st floor.
Variety of glazing patterns to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews with decoratively moulded skewputts. Corniced gablehead and wallhead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative brackets and hoppers to principal elevations.
INTERIOR: fine interior. Square-plan hall to centre with panelled timber doors leading to principal rooms, arcaded gallery to 1st floor with pilastered round-ached openings and barley-sugar turned timber
railings, fine leaded skylight to centre of ceiling; round-arched doorways with decoratively panelled tympana flank pilastered and architraved opening to staircase, advanced plinths support bronze statues by A Carrier, barley-sugar turned timber balusters to stair, scrolled detail below treads, elegantly carved newel posts. Fine cornices and plasterwork to principal rooms at ground floor; parquet floors, skirting boards doors, doors and architraves survive; suite of rooms to SW: rooms to S and centre divided by open screen supported on Corinthian columns and pilasters, sliding door divides rooms to centre and N.
TERRACE WALLS AND STEPS: coped granite ashlar walls to W of house, squat square-plan piers, stone steps.
EAST AND WEST LODGES: small single storey lodges to NE and NW of house; Aberdeen bond granite with finely finished margins, Jacobean detailing.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
2nd (1902-4) EDITION OS MAP; W A Brogden, ABERDEEN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (2nd Edition: 1998), p169.
Set in substantial grounds, Garthdee House forms part of Scott Sutherland School of Architecture. In the years preceding 1956 Thomas Scott Sutherland bought the Garthdee estate and lived in Garthdee House. An architect himself, he gifted the estate to what was then called Aberdeen School of Architecture in 1956, along with an endowment. The Jacobean detailed
house owes much to the architecture of William Burn, and Brogden notes that its composition was based on that of Auchmacoy House (see separate listing, Logie Buchan Parish). The interior, which includes a fine hall and gallery, stained glass by Daniel Cottier and well detailed principal rooms, is particularly noteworthy
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.