Description: Lamlash, the Lookout, Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Date Listed: 12 May 2003
Historic Scotland Building ID: 49200
OS Grid Coordinates: 202863, 631303
Latitude/Longitude: 55.5355, -5.1255
Earlier to mid 19th century with later alterations and additions. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay classical villa with broad corner pilasters and Tudor Jacobean details; single storey piend-roofed range to rear. Later mansard roof and canted porch to secondary entrance. Central Jacobean wallhead gable. Base course; band course to side elevations and string course to facade between ground and 1st floors; moulded eaves course and blocking course. Squared and snecked pink sandstone; painted ashlar facade; moulded window surrounds to ground; square-headed hoodmoulds to ground floor openings; harled to rear with exposed ashlar margins.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central advanced bay with 2-leaf panelled door in cavetto surround, letterbox fanlight above; bipartite window to left canted secondary entrance bay to right, door to centre and flanking windows; 2 bipartite swept dormers to attic.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays with central wing at right angles; single window to ground left, small modern extension to right on return; central stair window and flanking single windows; central tripartite dormer and flanking rooflights to attic.
SW ELEVATION: window to ground left; central 1st floor window.
NE ELEVATION: tripartite window to ground centre left, flanking single windows; central 1st floor window. Timber sash and case windows: 2- pane (upper) and plate glass (lower) to principal and side elevations; original lying-pane glazing to rear (4-pane upper and lower sashes); plate glass to all dormer windows; 4 Velux-type rooflights. Graded, greyish-purple slates; lead flashing to platform section; flat-coped skews; corniced gable end stacks with 10 octagonal clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen (2002).
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: pair of chamfered gatepiers on square plinths with centrally raised octagonal caps, further similar gatepier to right with gate (1 remaining half of double gate); low coped boundary wall to front; cast-iron spearhead railings and gate.
Marked as 'Bank' on 1st edition OS map of 1868, 2nd edition of 1897 and revised edition of 1924 (none of the maps show the additional canted bay). Close, AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p207.
Formerly the Bank of Scotland, the bank's shield is on the centre of the Jacobean gable. Probaly originally a villa which became a bank and bankhouse, possibly in the 1850s or 60s. Located on the main Arran road in Lamlash close to the shore, The Lookout remains a building of local value and character despite suffering neglect in recent years and an unfortunate alteration to the facade. The sash and case windows to the facade are probably original but their lying-pane glazing bars have been 'knocked-out' at a later date. Influenced by the smaller-scale domestic work of David Hamilton, The Lookout has the prominent corner pilasters that are a feature of this and many other 3-bay villas of the period in Ayrshire.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.