Lamlash, Lamlash Community Centre, Lamlash
Description: Lamlash, Lamlash Community Centre
Date Listed: 13 November 2003
Historic Scotland Building ID: 49536
OS Grid Coordinates: 202266, 630818
Latitude/Longitude: 55.5309, -5.1346
Location: Benlister Road, Lamlash, North Ayrshire KA27 8LW
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Spiers & Co of Glasgow, 1914. Large rectangular-plan single storey corrugated-iron former military hall. Central pitched roof section with flanking bays at lower pitch; half-timbering to gables at SW and NE; roof projecting over NW elevation to form bracketed canopy over timber benches to ground. Regular fenestration. Painted army green with dark green margins; on brick base.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 bays. Door to L bay with window to L; 3 windows to R bay with later door providing disabled access via ramp; central bay altered with projecting bay on brick stilts; flanking tall windows.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays. 4 tall windows to centre below gable; flanking sets of 3 windows.
SE ELEVATION: 13 bays. From left: 5 windows, door, 3 windows (1 bipartite), door, 3 windows.
NW ELEVATION: from L to R: window; projecting hut; door; 4 windows; 2 doors; window; large sliding door; window and door.
Timber top-hopper 6-pane windows (most boarded up but original and intact beneath). Corrugated-iron roof with corrugated plastic rooflights. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: original functional scheme intact. Lined throughout with timber boarding; timber panelled and part-glazed doors; timber queenpost roof structure; timber floor. Main hall divided by folding partition of timber part-glazed doors; sliding covers to rooflights.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
ARDROSSAN & SALTCOATS HERALD 12th June 1914; 30th March 1917; 27th April 1917. Additional information courtesy of Grace Small, Arran Heritage Museum.
Built by the Admiralty in 1914 as accommodation for the fleet arriving at Lamlash, the hall comprised a canteen, reading rooms, offices, lavatories, stage and gymnasium. Tents were erected in the surrounding playing fields for the soldiers. In 1917, at the instigation of the Marchioness of Graham, the Duke of Hamilton's daughter, the hall was converted for use as a convalescent hospital for soldiers and Arran Auxiliary Hospital was opened on 18th April. The hall was given to the village of Lamlash after World War I with the proviso that it be used again when necessary for troops. During World War II it was used again as a troops' canteen.
The hall is largely unaltered and is in regular use as a community centre (2003). The interior consists of two main spaces divided by the folding partition; in the wings there are offices and toilets. The design is based around function and flexibility. Situated in open space with the covered shelter on the NW elevation facing playing fields, the hall is clearly designed to suit the requirements of troops concerned with physical fitness.
The building is listed for its connection to both World Wars, adding to its historical significance. Architecturally, its material and construction are of interest and the hall was supplied in prefabricated form, assembled on site quickly and cheaply as the need arose. The contract stipulated the building be erected in two months. Spiers & Co of Glasgow were one of many specialist firms of the period producing a catalogue of corrugated-iron halls, schools and churches for temporary use.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.