Description: Auchterhouse Old Mansion House Hotel, Wallace Tower
Date Listed: 11 June 1971
Historic Scotland Building ID: 6479
OS Grid Coordinates: 333152, 737282
Latitude/Longitude: 56.5228, -3.0881
There is also a scheduled monument with a similar name, Wallace Tower, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This is probably the same structure or related to it in some way.
Of uncertain date, but perhaps part of a 13th century castle. Single storey remains of rectangular-plan tower. Coursed and random rubble walls, approximately 2 metres thick and 4 metres high.
W ELEVATION: entrance at left with remains of arched doorcase; small opening at right.
N ELEVATION: small window opening at centre.
S AND E ELEVATION: walls mostly reduced to approximately 1 metre. INTERIOR: remains of barrel vaulting on N wall; large round-headed opening with splayed jambs leading to small window opening, 2 sculpted stones on cill; well.
Rev W Mason Inglis, ANNALS OF AN ANGUS PARISH (1888), pp10-11; Andrew Jervise, rewritten by Rev James Gammack, MEMORIALS OF ANGUS AND THE MEARNS (1885), vol.II, pp122-8; David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1892), vol.5, pp229-232; Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1881), vol.II, pp385-90.
Auchterhouse was in the Ramsay, Ogilvy, Earls of Buchan, Earls of Strathmore, and Ogilvy of Airlie families successively. The tower is named after Sir William Wallace who is reputed to have stayed here, the house of his follower Sir John Ramsay, in 1303. Edward 1 of England also lodged here during the same year. Listed for its value as part of an A group with Old Mansion House Hotel, Sundial, Dovecot, Road Bridge, Weir, Lodge, Gatepiers, Stable/Coach House/Squash Court, Laundry, Turbine House.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.