If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Balbeuchley, Balbeuchley Steading
Date Listed: 26 August 1992
Historic Scotland Building ID: 6481
OS Grid Coordinates: 336030, 737856
Latitude/Longitude: 56.5284, -3.0415
Dated 1802; S range earlier 19th century. Single and 2-storey, U-plan made quadrangular-plan steading built on falling ground; NW corner is ruinous. Rubble construction, droved and margined dressings, stugged and margined at S range, piended slate roofs. Mostly timber framed windows of sash and case, top-hopper and fixed frame design; boarded single and 2-leaf doors; boarded granary windows.
OUTER ELEVATION: segmental cart entrance at centre with blind 1st floor and gable; 2-bay range at left, later raised, each with window, bay at far left is slightly advanced with blocked opening; single storey range at right, mostly ruinous, bay at far right slightly advanced with blocked door, later single-storey implement shed on similar axis advanced at left.
COURTYARD ELEVATION: cart entrance at centre with blocked window at 1st floor (dated lintel) and attic space; range at right with door at centre, 2 windows at left and right, 3 windows at later 1st floor, 3 roof vents; single storey range at left, bay at right with door and ruinous roof, collapsed bay at left with brick alterations and evidence of 2 possible cart-arches.
OUTER ELEVATION: threshing barn, remains of wheelhouse and later adjoining horse-mill at centre right, 2-leaf door at left, substantial stone launder at right extending beyond gable at N, later large lean-to implement shed at left.
COURTYARD ELEVATION: asymmetrical. Forestair and platt to 1st floor at centre right, blocked door below; partially blocked wide entrance at right with relieving arch, frameless window above; wide entrance at left with 2-leaf door, evidence of arch springing from lintel level approximately 2 metres to its left; door and window at far left with window at 1st floor.
OUTER ELEVATION: altered and partially ruinous. Roofless bay at centre with large vehicle opening, window at right; bay at left (roofless at outer left) with door and door blocked as window, 3 roof vents; bay at right with 2 windows, ridge stack.
COURTYARD ELEVATION: partially roofed bay at right with door, 6 rooflights; asbestos roofed, open ended shed with lean-to advanced at right angles at centre; door with 6-pane fanlight in bay to left.
OUTER ELEVATION: 9-bay later block at centre.5 segmental cart-arches at centre, central arch keystoned and slightly higher, left arch blocked, 2 windows at left, 1 at right, 9 boarded granary windows at 1st floor. Slightly advanced original gables at far left and right; bothy, possibly later extended as Grieve's house at far left with door and window at ground floor, 2 windows at 1st; higher gable at far right with sliding door and blocked window at ground floor, 2 windows at 1st, blank lean-to recessed at right.
COURTYARD ELEVATION: segmental cart entrance at centre, granary window above and 3 at left, symmetrically arranged; forestair with timber baluster to 2-leaf door at right, blocked opening at far right with former granary opening (now window) above, door blocked as window at outer right; round-coped rubble wall advanced at left of arch forming open cattle court with railed feeding trough advanced from E range. INTERIOR: various floors have been removed; timber trevis and remains of hecks in stable: boarded bothy(') at S end of E range on 1st floor.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
OS maps 1860, 1900; Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OF FORFARSHIRE (1881), vol.II, pp390-1.
Balbeuchley steading is one of the earliest improved steadings in the area and situated in an elevated and conspicuous position above the Dichty valley. The steading probably also provided stabling and coach house facilities for Balbeuchley House. It is listed despite the alterations and ruinous condition of the north west angle. Outline consent for the conversion of the steading to six residential units was granted in December 1989.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.