Eastfield, Eastfield Steading, Auchterhouse
Description: Eastfield, Eastfield Steading
Date Listed: 26 August 1992
Historic Scotland Building ID: 6491
OS Grid Coordinates: 334012, 737201
Latitude/Longitude: 56.5222, -3.0741
Location: Kirkton of Auchterhouse, Angus DD3 0QP
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Early 19th century, covered cattle courts later 19th century, additions to W elevation 20th century. Single and 2-storey, quadrangular-plan steading built on falling ground. White painted rubble, greyslate piended roof. Rough-hewn quoins, coarsely-droved margins and fressings to original openings. Triangular roof vents.
OUTER ELEVATION: 2-storey, 7-bay cart-shed and granary block to centre, door to far right, 4 asymmetrically placed openings to left, 2 louvred to top; 7 symmetrically placed part-louvred openings to 1st floor, 3 roof vents; higher 2-storey threshing barn to left, 2 windows to ground floor, top-louvred opening to 1st, half-piended bay advanced to centre with window to right return, large sliding door to left return; single storey cottage to right (extends in L-plan to E range), door to centre flanked by enlarged out0of0character windows, coped ridge stacks. COURTYARD ELEVATION: granary and cart-shed block to right, forestairs to right leading to granary door breaking through eaves with half-piended roof, door flanked by blocked window and door to ground floor far right, 3 openings to 1st floor (forestairs and openings masked by addition), 4 square-headed cart-arches to left (2nd from left built up), 4 openings to 1st floor, fixed panes to top, 4 roof vents; cottage to left, gable advanced to far left, door and 2 windows to inner elevations (not original).
OUTER ELEVATION: wide opening to courtyard centre left; cottage to left, gable to left with small attic window, coped skews with moulded skewends, slightly recessed bay to right with 3 windows; long predominantly blank bay to right, 3 blocked doorways, 2 blocked cart-arches, 1 forming door and window to left, 7 rooflights, 5 roof vents, coped skew to left with skewblocks and apex stack.
COURTYARD ELEVATION: masked by cattle courts.
OUTER ELEVATION: depressed-arch cart-entrance to centre breaking through eaves with swept roof and droved voussoirs; blank bay to left, blocked feed opening with pins, 1 rooflight, 3 roof ventilators; blank bay to right, blocked cart-entrance and feed opening, 4 rooflights, 3 roof ventilators.
COURTYARD ELEVATION: altered, and masked by cattle court additions, cart-arch mirroring that on outer elevation remains; M-roof, half-piended cattle courts, 2 large doors, evidence of gatepiers and wall to open court built up to support roof; later bay to left.
OUTER ELEVATION: original bay to left, door; 20th century additions advanced to centre; 3 earlier bays to right, massive rubble ramp leading to 1st floor doors of threshing barn recessed to far right bay, weathervane finial to threshing barn.
INNER ELEVATION: masked by later bay and cattle courts.
INTERIOR: mostly altered; some non-original machinery in thresing barn.
Rough Sketch of Dykes on Farm of Eastfield, 1828, SRO GD/16/27/209; Plan and Section of the Proposed Railway from Dundee to Newtyle, C Landale, civil engineer, William Corsar, surveyor, 1825, SRO RHP 10655/1; OS maps, 1860, 1903; NSA (1845), vol.XI, p652.
The steading is situated adjoining the road from Dronley to Kirkton of Auchterhouse, and with the farmhouse opposite forms a conspicuous and relatively unaltered agricultural group in the landscape. It is one of the oldest improved steadings in the Dundee District, the majority of the structure apparently being of one date, surviving with the minimal of external alteration. The high relation of wall mass to window/door openings is particularly impressive externally; the raised roof line of the threshing barn in relation to the adjoining roof on the south elevation is also an effective feature of the steading's principal elevation. A circular horse-mill is shown at the south of the west elevation on the 1860 map. The existing ramp probably dates from the erection of the horse-mill. Eastfield was formerly part of the Auchterhouse estate.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.