Achany House, Lairg
Description: Achany House
Date Listed: 18 March 1971
Historic Scotland Building ID: 8016
OS Grid Coordinates: 256909, 901838
Latitude/Longitude: 57.9827, -4.4215
Location: B864, Highland IV27 4EE
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Achany, chambered cairn 250m NE of, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Late 18th/early 19th century with mid 19th century
additions and further late 19th century rear extensions.
Symmetrical 3-storey, 5-bay frontage the outer bays
projecting as circular drum towers. All harled with
tooled ashlar margins and dressings. Centre 3 bays appear
to form original core, with centre door with panelled
pilasters and door, and decorative fanlight. Mid-later
19th century bowed outer bays rising full height and
terminating in conical slate roofs with finials. 5
pedimented dormers rise through wallhead, the centre having
decorative detailing and ball finials; deep eaves band.
Canted ground floor bay window in each return elevation,
at east with flight of steps with decorative cast-iron
Former E-plan rear in-filled in late 19th century,
presenting 5-gabled north elevation (centre rear gabled bay
is stair well), fronted by further 2-storey, 5-bay
symmetrical wing, with 1st floor windows breaking eaves
under barge-boarded gables. Mainly 12-pane glazing; corniced
end and ridge stacks; slate roof.
Interior: curved ended parlours flank centre entrance hall
with contemporary pannelled doors and window shutters;
bowed panelled cupboard doors and decorative plaster friezes.
Mid 19th century long narrow dining and drawing rooms flank
centre 3-bay portion.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1791-3) (1979 ed.) p.454.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, 15, (1834) p.62.
Groome's ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, iv, (1885)
House plans in possession of present owner show thick,
outside walls, between centre 3 and outer bays, the
the additional outer bays being long and narrow drawing
and dining rooms in ground floor. Seat of Munro's, and later
Rose's of Achany. Purchased by Sir James Matheson in 1840
(see Matheson Memorial, Lairg). East and west canted bay
windows appear on 1st ed. OS, 1874, but not rear additions.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.