If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Cilcennus, Bro Garmon

Description: Cilcennus

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 June 1967
Cadw Building ID: 112

OS Grid Coordinates: 280912, 358310
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1084, -3.7792

Location: Bro Garmon, Conwy, Conwy LL26 ORB

Locality: Bro Garmon
County: Conwy
Country: Wales
Postcode: LL26 ORB

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

Location
Set back from the main road in a prominent raised position on a hill slope; accessed from a lane running SE from the A470 to Capel Garmon.

History
Sub-medieval house probably of late C16 date, but seemingly on an earlier site. The early ownership and occupancy are confused, but the present building was possibly erected by Morus ap John Gruffudd who obtained a lease for 31 years in 1595 on marrying a wife with 'a considerable portion'. Following his death the lease was purchased by Owen Wynn (subsequently Sir Owen Wynn, third baronet of Gwydir) and a series of mid C17 alterations, including a rear stair projection and gabled dormers to the roof, probably relate to his term as landlord. A third phase of cosmetic alterations appears to have been implemented at the end of the C17. Late C19 alterations included the rebuilding of the service end (to the SW) and additions to the rear.

Interior
Former cross-passage plan. Fine original post-and-panel partition to R, with grooved decoration and central Tudor-arched entrance (blocked c1700) to the former parlour beyond; replacement door to R with plain architrave and fielded 2-panel door. Stopped-chamfered lateral ceiling beam and finely stopped-chamfered joists to former hall at L, with raised and fielded 2-panel door as before. Very wide fireplace (over 3m) with flat, stopped-chamfered bressummer. 2 panelled window seats, raised and fielded and with similar shutters to the parlour, all c1700; stopped-chamfered beams and joists as before. At the rear of the passage, and occupying the position of the original opposing entrance, a good mid-C17 wide dog-leg stair, contained within the stair projection. This has flat, pierced and shaped balusters and a square newel with crude geometric finial. Contemporary boarded sides and, under the stair, a contemporary boarded plank door with access via slate steps to a small cellar space. The staircase continues as a single-flight to the attic floor; original oak treads and risers throughout. Primary 3-bay roof with pegged oak collar trusses. The floor boards to the first floor are largely the original random oak boards and the partitions are timber-framed (evidence of wattle-and-daub support visible during repair works- January 1997). 3 further 2-panel doors to first floor as before.

Exterior
Storeyed house of irregular L-plan; of whitened rubble construction with slate roofs. Primary rubble central stack with weathercoursing and later slate cornice; C19 rubble end chimney to service end (SW) and further, squat C19 end chimneys to remaining blocks, of brick with dentilated and plain cornices. The entrance side is to the SE and faces away from the road: primary entrance with moulded Tudor-arched oak frame and 4-panel Victorian door, with glazed upper panels; Late C19 gabled open porch. To the R a 2-light modern window in an opening of c1700. An exceptional survival is the pair of mid-C17 gabled dormers to upper floor with original 2-light ovolo-moulded mullioned windows; leaded glazing, perhaps contemporary. To the rear of the primary block a large gabled stair projection rising to full height; small C19 casement to gable apex with sash window below. Gabled dormers flank the stair projection with slightly-recessed C19 6-pane sashes, that to the L removed at time of inspection (January 97). Modern window and modern out-of-character glazed door flanking to ground floor at L and R respectively. To the R the altered service bay, with out-of-character modern door and window above; the roof steps up slightly from the main block and has a shallower pitch. A lower and later rubble wing projects forward to the L of the entrance front, forming an L-plan with the main block; modern windows, part boulder foundations. Extruded in the angle between the two sections, a small C19 storeyed service block with gable and brick end chimney to NE; windows currently being renewed (January 1997).

Reason for Listing
Listed Grade II* as an important sub-medieval regional gentry house retaining fine C16 and C17 interior detail.

References
J. Balinger (ed), The Calendar of the Wynn Papers, 1927, 342, 1811A, 2093-4;
W. Beazant Lowe, The heart of Northern Wales, Vol.2, 1927;
E. Hubbard, Clwyd, Buildings of Wales series, 1987, p238;
P. Smith, Houses of the Welsh Countryside, 1988, map 27.

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Notes:
Set back from the main road in a prominent raised position on a hill slope; accessed from a lane running SE from the A470 to Capel Garmon.

Source: Cadw

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.