Description: Penuel Baptist Chapel, High Street (N Side)
Date Listed: 15 April 1994
Cadw Building ID: 14497
OS Grid Coordinates: 219676, 242876
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0545, -4.6304
Situated at W end of the village, W of junction with road to Rhos-hill. The chapel was built 1861-2 by John Evans of Cilgerran for ú750; the vestry in 1908-9 by W L Michael of Newcastle Emlyn for ú335.
Exterior: 1862 Baptist Chapel in painted squared Cilgerran stone with slate roof. Gable front with open pedimental bracketed eaves, arched windows and door with recessed stone voussoirs, slate sills and small-paned glazing. Two long arched side windows, two narrow small centre lights with marginal glazing bars and centre double ledged doors with radiating-bar fanlight. Raised plinth. Rubble stone side walls with two long arched sashes each side and cut stone voussoirs.
Interior: Painted grained box pews with gallery raised on 2x3 plain iron columns (marked T Thomas, Cardigan). Gallery has curved corners, coved underside and panelled front, the panels with planted marginal mouldings rebated at corners. Clock marked 'Penuel 1863'. Balustraded great seat and pulpit with curved front. Arched recess behind pulpit. Ornate centre roundel to ceiling, otherwise plain. Entrance lobby has traceried window with dove descending in stained glass and some etched and coloured glass to the corners.
Vestry: Added in 1908 in similar style, two long arched windows with keystones, arched centre door, and roundel above. Three-window sides.
Front railings on Cilgerran stone rusticated low wall with end piers and two slate piers to entry with double iron gates. Railings have urns on main stanchions and spearheads. Smaller gate in front of vestry.
Simple, well-proportioned chapel in prominent position on main street.
The vestry is included for group value.
Reference: D J Morris, Hanes Eglwys Y Bedyddwyr Penuel.
Reason for Listing
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.