If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


High Glanau, Trellech United

Description: High Glanau

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 22 February 1989
Cadw Building ID: 2813

OS Grid Coordinates: 349817, 207403
Latitude/Longitude: 51.7626, -2.7272

Location: Trellech, Monmouth, Monmouthshire NP25 4AE

Locality: Trellech United
County: Monmouthshire
Country: Wales
Postcode: NP25 4AE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

Location
Off the W side of the road, approached along a wooded drive on Trellech Hill, and set in its own grounds. On a levelled site with sloping lawns to either side and spectacular views to west.

History
Built 1922-3. Designed by Eric Francis (former assistant to Guy Dawber and Detmar Blow) in collaboration with H Avray Tipping. The latter was, from 1907, the chief writer for 'Country Life' and a leading C20 architectural patron and historian. He lived here for the last 10 years of his life. The grounds were laid out by Tipping in a style similar to that practised by Sir Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll.

Interior
The interior was specifically designed to contain Tipping's collection of pictures and furniture. The living room, lit from both sides, has a C17 character with ribbed plasterwork to the compartmented beamed ceiling; stone fireplace. Similar plasterwork to the Parlour which is wainscoted. The dog-leg staircase has pierced splat balusters.

Exterior
Two storeys, in free Arts and Crafts/Tudor style. Constructed of local part coursed rubble with steep slate roofs and swept eaves; brought down very low to either end creating broad gables. Rubble chimney stacks to W facing pitch with cornice and neck bands. Casement windows of varying widths, mostly with small leaded panes; those to the ground floor and stairwell have local red sandstone frames with mullions, cornices and cills.The 6-bay entrance front (to E) is deliberately asymmetrical and composed around 2 tall projecting bays crowned by gables with stepped kneelers. That to the left is part slate-hung and includes the main entrance - 9-panel door with lean-to hood and metal sign; that to the right contains the staircase and has 1 window to the front face. Set back bays to either side of staircase with high eaves and slate hanging to 1st floor; that to left has a cross frame window. The extreme left end bays sweep down low. Slate hung gable ends with broad 6-light windows and similar kneelers; attic window to right. Attached to left gable is a stone wall, with recess for water tap and basin, screening the sheltered S terrace. At the right end is an integral outhouse range balanced by a small cross range to the kitchens, both single storey; side entrances. The garden front is composed of 3 gabled bays to centre, all slate hung to 1st floor and with 3-light windows (with transoms to ground floor). Small pane sun loggia doors to right up steps. The terrace is protected to N by the cross range projecting from the gable end - this has a hipped end with swept eaves.

Group value with other listed items at High Glanau.

Reason for Listing
Listed as an excellent example of 1920s domestic Arts-and-Crafts style, for its association with H. Avray Tipping, and as part of a coherent contemporary group.

References
R.Haslam, 'The Houses of H.Avray Tipping - II', Country Life (1979)
H.A.Tipping, 'High Glanau', Country Life (1929), vol.65, pp.822-829, and 854ff.
Pevsner, Nikolaus, and Newman, John, The Buildings of Wales: Gwent/Monmouthshire (2000) p.208.

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Notes:
Off the W side of the road, approached along a wooded drive on Trellech Hill, and set in its own grounds. On a levelled site with sloping lawns to either side and spectacular views to west.

Source: Cadw

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |