If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Ddoged, Llanddoged and Maenan

Description: Church of St Ddoged

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 June 1967
Cadw Building ID: 91

OS Grid Coordinates: 280592, 363703
Latitude/Longitude: 53.1568, -3.7860

Location: Maes Gwyn, Llanddoged and MaenanConwy LL26 OAZ

Locality: Llanddoged and Maenan
County: Conwy
Country: Wales
Postcode: LL26 OAZ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

Location
Prominently sited in the centre of the village within a raised, circular churchyard with rubble revettment walls.

History
Late Medieval double-naved church within a raised, circular churchyard, implying a Celtic site. This the Rev. Thomas Davies substantially remodelled 1838-9 with the help of his friend, the Rev. David Owen, of neighbouring Eglwysbach. Some C16 arched-light windows survive; the C19 raising, relating to the provision of new roofs, is evident on the gable ends.

Interior
Plain 6-bay arcade of plastered, pointed arches on renewed timber posts; slate flagged floors and pine box pews to S aisle and western part of N aisle. Tiered box seating to W end inscribed 'Boys' and 'Girls'; a boiler room (S) and a small vestry (N) flank these. Shallow canted plaster ceilings with boxed transverse beams carried on wooden, Jacobethan-style corbels. Medieval octagonal font on a moulded base and set on a 3-tiered square plinth. On the centre of the N aisle, an octagonal C19 pulpit with simple panelled and reeded sides; reading desk below with stick-baluster stairs with geometric newel. Behind the pulpit are pointed-arched, framed paintings of Jesus and (to the R) the Royal Arms with VR monogram (despite their Hanovarian type) and Welsh inscriptions including one to 'honour the king.' Glazed ocular skylight above pulpit, with coloured glass. This arrangement of pews and pulpit is a fine North-Walian example of a pre-Oxford Movement Church.

Plain C20 altar rails to stepped-up altar and a panelled reredos containing re-used sections of late C16 secular carved panelling.Simple decorative stained glass to E window with plain and coloured quarries counterchanged to centre and borders. White marble wall tablet to Sir Thomas Kyffin of Maenan Hall (1752), with broken, curved pediment and gadrooned base with cherub's head. Further, similar tablet to Sir Thomas Kyffin of Maenan Hall (1784), by Van der Hagen the Younger, sculptor of Shrewsbury; architectural frame with urn finials and cherub's heads to base. To the L of the (S) E window, a wall tablet in black and white marble to Eleanor Jane Preston (1846) with heraldic shield above. Set into the floor in the NE corner are two primitive C17 tomb slabs, both relocated. The first is to Anne, daughter of William Owen of Bodowen, Anglesey, and Richard Kyffin of Maenan Esq., (d. 1675), and is in large, raised lettering. The second is to Jane Kyffin, d.1684.

Exterior
Twin-naved church of rubble construction with slate roofs; plain, over-hanging eaves and deep verges with simple curly bargeboards. Gabled N and S porches with barge-boards as before to slate roofs, feathered at the eaves. Round-arched entrances with sandstone ashlar voussoirs and projecting keystones. Similar, chamfered inner arches with recessed boarded and studded doors; simple decorative door furniture. Above the outer arch on the S side, an inset sandstone plaque inscribed: 'Rebuilt AD 1839 by T. Davies, Rector'. Single-light, wooden-framed, arched windows to the W of each porch and on the N side two similar 3-light leaded windows to the E, all C19. On the S side is a further, similar window with a stone, 3-light mullioned window of the C16 to the far R, clearly prioviding the inspiration for the C19 ones. Similar C16 stone windows to the W and E ends, the latter with returned labels, that to the L with primitive carved head stops. Simple bellcote to N aisle at W end, with arched bell opening and a shaped stone finial on top.

Reason for Listing
Listed grade II* as a prominent village church with Medieval origins, and as a rare surviving example of a pre-Oxford Movement interior.

References
E. Hubbard, Clwyd, The Buildings of Wales series, 1986, pp190-191;
W. N. Yates, Rug Chapel, Llangar Church and Gwydir Uchaf Chapel, Cadw: Welsh Historic Monuments, 1993, p9.

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Notes:
Prominently sited in the centre of the village within a raised, circular churchyard with rubble revettment walls.

Source: Cadw

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.