History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Grammar School

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwell, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0776 / 53°4'39"N

Longitude: -0.9549 / 0°57'17"W

OS Eastings: 470108

OS Northings: 353883

OS Grid: SK701538

Mapcode National: GBR BK3.5DD

Mapcode Global: WHFHF.9XJ1

Entry Name: Old Grammar School

Listing Date: 9 February 1973

Last Amended: 20 May 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1046152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242336

Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Southwell

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Southwell

Listing Text

SOUTHWELL

CHURCH STREET
SK7053
1919-0/11/45 (South side)
09/02/73 Old Grammar School
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET
The Old Grammar School (PW Gascoine
and others))

GV II

Former Grammar School, now offices. 1819, with late C19
additions. Brick with dressed stone plinth and hipped and
gabled slate roof. 2 string courses, chamfered eaves, single
gable, ridge and side wall stacks. Windows are glazing bar
sashes of various sizes, with rubbed brick heads. 3 storeys,
3x6 bays. Pedimented north gable, to street, has a central
blank flanked by single windows on each floor, those to the
upper floor being smaller. In a recess to the right, a round
headed doorway with plain fanlight and above it, a single sash
on each floor. To left, a late C19 flat roofed porch with
cornice and ramped parapet, and a 3-light mullioned window. On
its left side, a doorway. Above the porch, a tablet inscribed
"Collegiate Grammar School of Southwell". Hipped end, to
Minster churchyard, has regular fenestration with a central
full-height sash on the ground floor. Interior has a stone
dogleg stair with stick balusters.


Listing NGR: SK7010853883

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.