History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coach House and Stables to Barningham Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Matlask, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8735 / 52°52'24"N

Longitude: 1.1893 / 1°11'21"E

OS Eastings: 614731

OS Northings: 335433

OS Grid: TG147354

Mapcode National: GBR VC6.TRM

Mapcode Global: WHLR9.71KF

Entry Name: Coach House and Stables to Barningham Hall

Listing Date: 20 February 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1049179

English Heritage Legacy ID: 224080

Location: Matlask, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Matlask

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Barningham Winter St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Plumstead

Listing Text

MATLASKE BARNINGHAM
TG 13 NW
3/61 Coach House and
20.2.52 stables to Barningham
Hall
GV II*

Coach house and stables, C17 and later, altered 1805 and 1864, ranged to
north and east of courtyard. North range: former coach house, now garages,
cottages and stable; brick in English bond with some diaper work and dogs
tooth cornice; plain and fish scale tiles to front, pantiles to rear. Two
storeys and attic; crow stepped gables. Ground Floor: 3 central garage
doors, to left and right 3-light casement window with glazing bars and ledged
and battened door of 1805 under 4-centred brick arch. First floor: 6 evenly
spaced casement windows with glazing bars, a seventh inserted between first
and second; 3 large casement dormers beneath crow stepped gables, rebuilt
c1940; Sun dial below central dormer. Central window to attic and to first
floor of left hand gable have brick mullions. East range: former stables,
now outbuildings, connected to north range by storage room and passage; C18,
altered 1864, brick, plain and fish scale tiles to front, pantiles to rear.
4 bays, single storey and attic. Ground floor of older bricks, upper wall
and dormers later, moulded terracotta rondels in dormers inscribed ITM (John
Thomas Mott, 1809-84) and 1864. Projecting cross wing to right with crow
stepped gables. Symmetrical facade. Central bay breaks forward and rises
to crow stepped dormer gable; doorway with 4 centred arch; 4-light casements
with glazing bars to right and left- ground floor; shuttered dormers with
crow stepped gables to right and left; central dormer has 2-light casement.
All 3 dormer windows have a brick pediment. Central wooden clock turret
with bell under leaded cupola. Cramp irons in form of estoile, the Mott
crest. Passage to right of north range has ledged and battened door with
4-centred arch of 1805. Rear: central projecting bay with arched doorway
under crow stepped dormer gable; 3 blank arches to right and left, forward
facing crow stepped gables to far right and left with blocked attic windows;
varied fenestration.


Listing NGR: TG1473135433

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.