History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Bodmin, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.47 / 50°28'12"N

Longitude: -4.7344 / 4°44'3"W

OS Eastings: 206055

OS Northings: 66926

OS Grid: SX060669

Mapcode National: GBR N2.MMQX

Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZT.7CJ

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 17 May 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1052291

English Heritage Legacy ID: 368050

Location: Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Bodmin

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Bodmin

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Bodmin

Listing Text


BODMIN

SX0666 WESTHEATH AVENUE (A389)
629-1/3/109 (North side)
17/05/91 Church of St Lawrence

GV II

Anglican chapel. 1859-61. Coursed and dressed limestone with
dry Delabole slate roofs. Apsidal chancel, 5-bay nave with
south transept and aisle, porches and west bay. Early Pointed
style, clearly influenced by the work of Ecclesiological
architects such as White who worked in Cornwall. Gabled
buttresses linked by sill course beneath paired and
deeply-splayed lancets to chancel. Gabled E porch with
hoodmould over pointed-arched plank door to south transept
which has paired lancets to bellcote set over 2-light window
with Geometrical tracery. Nave has small circular clerestory
windows with trefoils and quatrefoils beneath eaves. S aisle
has splayed lancets and porch with hoodmould over
pointed-arched doorway. N elevation of nave has gabled and
slightly projecting central bay with porch, flanked by paired
lancets, and has vestry to east with pointed-arched doorway.
Lower one-bay annexe to west has paired lancets to sides and
group of 3 stepped lancets to west. INTERIOR: noted as having
open timber roof, nave arcade and original fittings. Built for
St Lawrence's Hospital at a cost of ยป1,515 and following its
mid C19 expansion.
(Kelly: Kelly's Directory of Cornwall: 1906-: 35).


Listing NGR: SX0605566926

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.