History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roscoe Lowe Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Anderton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6154 / 53°36'55"N

Longitude: -2.5794 / 2°34'45"W

OS Eastings: 361766

OS Northings: 413364

OS Grid: SD617133

Mapcode National: GBR BVFM.CP

Mapcode Global: WH97L.BDY6

Entry Name: Roscoe Lowe Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1072563

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184259

Location: Anderton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Anderton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Adlington St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Horwich

Listing Text

ANDERTON ROSCOE LOWE BROW
SD 61 SW
14/8 Roscoe Lowe Farmhouse
l7.4.67
GV II

Farmhouse of 2 builds, dated 1683 and 1759, the first containing earlier
fabric and now used as store. Squared sandstone with quoins, stone slate
roofs. L-shaped plan formed by addition of 1759 at right angles to west
gable of earlier building. Two storeys, on sloping site, the later part
higher. This is 3 bays, symmetrical except that right end overlaps gable
of older part, has gable chimneys, a central doorway with simple moulded
architrave, 2 windows at ground floor and 3 above, all relatively large
with splayed stone heads, the upper of 3, 2, and 3 lights with chamfered
flush mullions, the lower altered as 2-light top-hung casements; the lintel
of the 2-light window at 1st floor above the door is inscribed 0
S M
1759
(= Samuel Oldknow). Left gable has a 2-light attic window formerly
mullioned, rear has a round-headed 3-stage stairlight with chamfered
transoms and central mullion, a small window at ground level below this;
right gable, mostly covered by lean-to addition, has an attic window like
that in the left gable. The older part is 2 bays, much altered in C18,
when it appears to have been raised and cased in stone; the re-entrant or
south side has a blocked doorway in the centre, 3-light chamfered flush
flush-mullion windows at ground floor and 1st floor right, an altered
window at 1st floor left, and close to the junction a little square window
at 1st floor lighting a staircase: the north side has a large
single-storey gabled porch altered as a washhouse, the gable incorporating
a worn datestone lettered in relief (?) F, a doorway and a window in the
1683
both sides of this, another doorway to the left of it, and an altered
3-light window above. The interior of this part has a timber framed
partition with remains of a cruck blade at ground floor of the north end;
and in the 1st bay, entered from the porch, a structure which may have been
an inglenook. History: from this house Samuel Oldknow operated a
putting-out system in the local textile industry before moving to Stockport
and developing a spinning mill at Mellor.


Listing NGR: SD6176613364

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.