History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Uppingham School Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Uppingham, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5875 / 52°35'15"N

Longitude: -0.7246 / 0°43'28"W

OS Eastings: 486504

OS Northings: 299620

OS Grid: SP865996

Mapcode National: GBR CSK.PMN

Mapcode Global: WHFL1.V745

Entry Name: Uppingham School Chapel

Listing Date: 10 November 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1073175

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186745

Location: Uppingham, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Uppingham

Built-Up Area: Uppingham

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Uppingham St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Uppingham

Listing Text

SP 8699-8799 UPPINGHAM
4/8
10.11.55 Uppingham School:
Chapel
GV
II*


Chapel. 1865 by G E Street, west galilee late C19, War Memorial Chapel c.1922 by
E Newton, north wall partly removed and chapel substantially enlarged to north 1965 by
Seely and Paget. Of coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with
coped gables and decorative ridge tiles. Gothic Revival. Five-bay nave and 2-bay
chancel beneath one roof. South side divided by massive buttresses. Geometric
tracery to windows, each one slightly different. North-west vaulted porch linking
chapel with school room and round stair turret with traceried bell stage and conical
roof. Wheel window to west. West galilee added to house marble statue of Edward
Thring (headmaster) by Thomas Brock, 1892, now in north east porch of 1965, leading to
north extension lit by full-length full-width window. Interior of chapel now mainly
C20 in character but retaining fine roof and west gallery of 1865. War Memorial
Chapel at south west corner in form of miniature "chapter house", octagonal in plan
with a patterned lead pyramidal roof punctuated by 2-light traceried gabled dormers,
and with richly decorated interior: walls with blind tracery listing names of World
War I fallen (including E H Brittain, brother of the writer) and highly enriched cove,
cornice and lantern.


Listing NGR: SP8650499620


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.