History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chew Stoke, Bath and North East Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3549 / 51°21'17"N

Longitude: -2.6378 / 2°38'16"W

OS Eastings: 355682

OS Northings: 161952

OS Grid: ST556619

Mapcode National: GBR JN.TZ1Y

Mapcode Global: VH896.76CN

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 21 September 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129632

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32965

Location: Chew Stoke, Bath and North East Somerset, BS40

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Chew Stoke

Built-Up Area: Chew Stoke

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Chew Magna

Listing Text

ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P. CHURCH LANE (north side)

3/69 Church of St. Andrew
21.9.60
G.V. II*

Parish church. C15, extensive restoration of 1862. Coursed squared sandstone
and limestone rubble, C19 work in snecked rubble, limestone dressings and ashlar
parapets, lead roofs with raised coped verges and cross finials, missing to east.
West tower, nave, north aisle and chapel, south aisle and chapel, south porch,
chancel. Perpendicular style. 3-stage tower has pointed arched west door, hood
mould with mask stops, large 3-light window above with continuous hood mould, 2nd
stage has smaller 2-light window with hood mould at all sides, 3rd stage has
2-light bell-openings with Somerset tracery to all sides, to south a small ogee-
headed hollow-chamfered window; plinth, weathered diagonal buttresses, moulded
string courses, octagonal stair turret with lancets to south-east, top string
course with gargoyles, embattled panelled parapet, central image niche with image
to each side, crocketed pinnacles at corners, ribbed spirelet with similar parapet
and pinnacles over stair turret. 4-bay north aisle has 2-light windows to north
and one 3-light to west with hood moulds, weathered diagonal buttresses, plinth,
cornice with masks and gargoyles and embattled parapet; north chapel has 3-light
north window with flat head and hood mould, small door and lancet, steps to cellar,
3-light east window, buttresses, cornice and embattled parapet. 3-bay south aisle
has 2-light west window, two 3-light south windows, to right with transom and
lower lights with 4-centred arched heads, cornice, parapet and buttresses as to
north; centre bay has porch, pointed arched door with jamb shafts, diagonal
weathered buttresses, cornice and gargoyles, C19 pierced stone traceried parapet,
C20 double doors. South chapel has 4-light south window with hood mould and flat
head, tracery as on south aisle window, cornice, gargoyles and embattled parapet,
3-light east window with hood mould and mask stops. Chancel has 3-light east
window, section of cornice and gargoyles to each side, rain water chutes, buttress
to each side and finial to gable. Interior: tower has tierceron vault with
large circle in middle, mask bosses, one said to be a woman with rabbit's ears,
tower arch with 2 broad wave-mouldings. Nave has 4-bay south arcade cut through
former wall, with pointed chamfered arches, 4-bay north arcade has piers with
4 shafts and hollow moulding between, pointed arches, angel to each side at
springers and spandrels of arches; 4-bay arched-brace and collar roof, one row of
purlins, brattished wall-plates, angel corbels and along wall-plates; 156 angels
in all. North and south aisles have 4-bay roof as nave; pointed arch from each
aisle and nave to chancel and chapels, south aisle has small 4-centred arched door
with heavy fillet to tower. South chapel has 5-bay ceiled roof with moulded
ribs, wide pointed north arch to chancel; north chapel has 2-bay roof with
principal rafters, collar, one row of purlins, brattished wall-plate, 2 pointed
arches to chancel as in north arcade. Chancel has 2-bay roof as nave, with leaf
bosses on arched-brace, piscina to south, C19 stone and marble reredos. Porch
has common rafter and collar roof, C19 pointed arched double doors, inset carved
woman with anchor to left, removed from Whalley Court. Fittings: C19 pews with
poppy-head bench ends in nave and aisles; C19 stone Perpendicular pulpit in nave;
C19 stone and polished stone font on stem in south aisle; eagle lectern in nave
incorporating large crystal fragment; C19 carved wooden chest (used as altar) in
south chapel; Royal Arms over west door; 4 hatchments and stone tablet in tower
recording gifts to parish and subscriptions for charity school. Marble tablet in
south aisle to John Gray, 1851, by Tyley of Bristol; marble tablet with urn in
north chapel, C18, inscription illegible. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of
England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).


Listing NGR: ST5568261952

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.