History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Primary School and Part of Presbytery

A Grade II Listed Building in Egton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4368 / 54°26'12"N

Longitude: -0.7618 / 0°45'42"W

OS Eastings: 480406

OS Northings: 505306

OS Grid: NZ804053

Mapcode National: GBR RK34.V9

Mapcode Global: WHF8Y.8RG1

Entry Name: Primary School and Part of Presbytery

Listing Date: 6 October 1969

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148779

English Heritage Legacy ID: 327484

Location: Egton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Egton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Egton St Hilda

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Egton

Listing Text

EGTON EGTON BRIDGE
NZ8005-8105
16/14 Primary School and
6.10.69 part of Presbytery
- II
Roman Catholic chapel, Presbytery and school; now County Primary School
and part of later Presbytery. c.1790; altered c.1865; further C20
alteration and extension. Herringbone-tooled sandstone; stone slate roof
with stone copings and kneelers. Extensions in dressed and re-used
sandstone. Original building rectangular with Presbytery at rear; later
extensions to front, rear and left side. 2-storey, 1-window gable end
with 1-storey lean-to extension in front. C20 door in extension. Large
mullioned and transomed window beneath tooled lintel above extension.
Canopied niche containing painted statue in gable apex. Semicircular
tablet beneath canopy inscribed:
ERECTED BY THE GUILD
18 90
OF ST HILDA
Square bellcote, with shallow ogee cap and stone cross above; block
kneelers. Rear: 2-storey, 1-window outbuilding behind 1-storey, lean-to
extension. Outbuilding has 4-pane sash with stone sill and herringbone-
tooled lintel on ground floor. 24-pane first floor window with small
central sash, stone sill and tooled lintel. Left return: largely obscured
by later building, but five round-arched openings, four blocked, are
visible. Centre opening altered to doorway with divided overlight. Right
return: five original full-height round-arched windows with tooled sills,
small-pane glazing and Gothick-glazed heads. Interior. Within front
extension, original 6-panel door with two glazed lights. An historically
interesting building as a very early example of a purpose-built Catholic
chapel and school following the passage of the first Catholic Relief Act
in 1778. Egton had long been a centre of Catholicism in the North-East,
and in 1743 a chapel existed beside Bridge House occupied by the recusant
Smith family, and adjacent to the present church and school. In 1780
there were 415 Catholics in the district. In 1867 the chapel was replaced
by a new church and thereafter functioned solely as a school. Outbuilding
to rear of school, now part of C19 Presbtytery, was the original presby-
tery. Included for historic interest. Hugh Aveling, Northern Catholics.


Listing NGR: NZ8040605306

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.