This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4357 / 54°26'8"N
Longitude: -0.7605 / 0°45'37"W
OS Eastings: 480498
OS Northings: 505179
OS Grid: NZ804051
Mapcode National: GBR RK44.5Q
Mapcode Global: WHF8Y.9R4X
Entry Name: Egton Manor
Listing Date: 19 February 1952
Last Amended: 7 July 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1173439
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327476
Location: Egton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Egton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Egton St Hilda
Church of England Diocese: York
EGTON EGTON BRIDGE
16/6 Egton Manor
19.2.52 (formerly listed as
Shooting box, now country house. 1893; enlarged 1913; major remodelling
and part demolition 1979. For the Foster family. C19 part of hammered
sandstone, extensions and rebuilding in herringbone-tooled sandstone;
sandstone ashlar dressings; slate roofs. Irregular plan.
Entrance front: 2-storey and attic, 4-window centre range between
2-storey, 1-window projecting wings. Off-centre 1-storey porch with
attached Tuscan angle columns. 6-panel door beneath painted low relief of
the Foster bugles. Porch flanked by 12-pane sashes; 8-pane sash at right
end. At left end, lowest stage of extruded corner stack contains 12-pane
sash with flat hood beneath fine carving of a dragon and flames. Left
wing return has 1-storey, 3-window canted bay beneath plain, coped
parapet. Remaining ground-floor and all first-floor windows are 12-pane
sashes; attic windows 4-pane sashes. Windows in plain raised surrounds,
with moulded sills on first floor and attic. Moulded sill band and
cornice across ground and first floors. Moulded eaves cornice and plain,
coped parapet to wings, balustraded across fronts. Rainwater goods dated
1913. Left-of-centre extruded stack, and right-of-centre anti left end
ridge stacks. Extruded stack has arched bell opening with oval domed
canopy beneath flue bank. Roof hipped at right end.
Garden front: C19 part 2 storeys and attic, 3 gabled bays; slightly
projecting 3-bay C20 extension at right. Shallow pedimented Ionic porch
in right end bay of C19 part, with radial glazed door beneath keyed arch
on Ionic pilasters. Original doorway to right now blocked by 12-pane
sash. Paired tall 12-pane sashes over present door, to left of panel
carved with garlanded Foster Arms. Remaining ground and first floor
windows left of porch are 4-pane sashes. Attic windows are triple sashes.
Plain raised surrounds to all windows, all with moulded sills except those
on ground floor left. Moulded eaves cornice. Fine moulded rainwater
goods. Extension articulated 1:2 by pilasters. 12-pane sashes in plain,
raised surrounds. Sillband on ground floor and moulded sills on first
floor. First floor and eaves cornices. Plain parapet over left bay rises
to form shaped attic gable at right. Attic window is triple sash with
moulded sill, beneath cornice hoodmould breaking over centre light.
Pilasters rise into parapet to form piers, crowned by ball and pedestal
finials. Rectangular panel in first floor centre carved with garlanded
bugle and date 19 : 13.
Listing NGR: NZ8049805179
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings