This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1261 / 55°7'34"N
Longitude: -1.5152 / 1°30'54"W
OS Eastings: 431014
OS Northings: 581411
OS Grid: NZ310814
Mapcode National: GBR K9V5.R7
Mapcode Global: WHC30.PFP3
Entry Name: Church of Our Lady and St Wilfred
Listing Date: 15 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1154702
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236011
Location: Blyth, Northumberland, NE24
Civil Parish: Blyth
Built-Up Area: Blyth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Blyth St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BLYTH WATERLOO ROAD
NZ 3181 SW
11/46 Church of Our Lady
and St. Wilfrid
Catholic Church, 1862 by A.M. Dunn. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings;
mixed Lakeland and Welsh slate roof. Unaisled, 6 bays with polygonal apse;
south-east bell turret, south transept and south-west sacristy. Cloister
linking transept with presbytery. Free C14 style. Chamfered plinth, stepped
buttresses, hollow-chamfered eaves cornice, with grotesque heads to rainwater
pipes. Coped gables with moulded kneelers and finial crosses. West end shows
double diagonally-boarded doors in moulded arch with 2 orders of colonnettes,
flanked by small lancets; stepped group of three 2-light windows above;
hoodmoulds with head stops. North and south walls with trefoiled lancets;
porch-like sacristy on south has 2-light window; transept has two 2-light
windows with large wheel window above and cusped niche in gable. Lower cloister
to east has two 2-light windows. Aspe has 3-light east window, with cusped
niche over, in slightly-projecting gable end; 2-light windows to east side.
Extruded turret has stair loops and octagonal upper section with trefoil panels
and trefoil-headed niches under gabled hoods with richly-carved beast stops;
Short tegulated stone spire.
Interior: Unbroken apsidal-ended space, plastered. South transept is vestry
with gallery over. Western screen and jettied canted gallery with carving.
Lady Chapel with carved stone reredos below gallery on south side. Arcaded
apse with figures of saints in trefoiled carved panels with marble shafts
between. Canted reredos with central pinnacle in the form of a steeple flanked
by crocketed niches with sculptured groups. Pinnacled sides canted forward
with figures of saints under canopies at either end. Richly-carved pulpit
with figures of saints and group of Christ preaching. Stations of the Cross
oil on canvas in Gothic wood panels. Large west window: Adoration of the Lamb,
asymmetrical composition of high quality.
The cloister linked the church to buildings on the east, now altered and not
of special interest, which originally housed a small community of Benedictine
Listing NGR: NZ3101481411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings