History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Cleethorpes Railway Station Buildings (1884)

A Grade II Listed Building in Sidney Sussex, North East Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.562 / 53°33'43"N

Longitude: -0.0289 / 0°1'43"W

OS Eastings: 530652

OS Northings: 409074

OS Grid: TA306090

Mapcode National: GBR XW77.KV

Mapcode Global: WHHHT.JQGN

Entry Name: Former Cleethorpes Railway Station Buildings (1884)

Listing Date: 17 September 1980

Last Amended: 22 December 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1161596

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164456

Location: North East Lincolnshire, DN35

County: North East Lincolnshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Sidney Sussex

Built-Up Area: Cleethorpes

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Cleethorpes St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Cleethorpes

Listing Text

TA 3009 SE
6/15

CLEETHORPES,
NORTH PROMENADE (west side),
Former Cleethorpes Railway Station buildings (1884)

(Formerly listed as No 155 (former Refreshment Rooms), Clocktower, entrance steps and adjoining sections of station buildings (including buildings formerly listed separately as No 155 Promenade and Station Clocktower, Station Approach))

17/9/80

GV II

Former railway station Refreshment Rooms, station Clocktower, adjoining sections of station buildings and steps to Promenade. 1884 with alterations of 1960s. Refreshment Rooms and Clocktower by Lockerbie and Wilkinson of Birmingham, makers. For Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company. Refreshment Rooms have red brick and ashlar base, cast iron framework, timber and glass walls, felted roof. Clocktower of timber with red brick to first stage, and cast iron balcony, clock and cresting. Adjoining station buildings of red brick with yellow brick and sandstone ashlar dressings, Felted roof. Glass roof to passage. Steps of red brick with ashlar treads and cast iron railings. L-shaped on plan: on the east side the L-shaped Refreshment Room facing the Promenade with adjoining station offices in the north-west angle, and entrance steps to north-east corner; adjoining range of station buildings to west with Clocktower on west side. Single storey throughout, apart from Clocktower 3 storeys high. Refreshment Rooms: tall single-storey southern section with 3 bays to east and west sides, single bay and rounded corners to south, lower 3-bay northern section facing east towards Promenade. South and east sides have brick base with chamfered plinth, brick pilasters with rounded angles and recessed panels in chamfered surround, stone capping. Iron superstructure of spiral-moulded columns with composite capitals carrying round-arched arcades to southern section, basket arches to northern section, all with foliate ornament in spandrels. Inscribed maker's plates attached to base, of columns. The taller southern section retains original timber framework to west and south sides: each. bay has a timber apron with a pair of recessed panels flanking an attached central column with a moulded base and capital rising to a projecting sill which supports a taller similar column dividing a 2-light window with single plate-glass panes below 8 small panes; traceried plate glass windows above have wooden round arches springing from the attached columns, with roundels in the spandrels, forming interlacing arcade with the cast iron outer frame. Entrances with double doors to north west and south west, the latter a later insertion. South side has original glazing and wooden tracery, replaced panels below. East side has original small-pane and traceried windows above, replaced glazing and panels below. Rounded hipped roof with raised flat central section. 3-bay north-east section has taller central bay with moulded wooden pediment bearing ornate scrolled cast ironwork in tympanum; original small-pane glazing to upper section, C20 glazing and panels below; pitched roof to pedimented section, flat roofs to either side. Single-bay return to north side has half-glazed door to left, and similar glazing to east side. Flight of 5 steps alongside, rising from Promenade to section platform, have railings with plain bars and moulded principals with ball finials. Adjoining single-storey station building has gabled north front with 3-bay round-arched blind arcade, with lower and narrower central arch, pilasters with moulded ashlar bases and flush yellow brick bands, keyed yellow brick arches with hoodmoulds, pair of round-headed plate glass sashes to left with ashlar sill and yellow brick arches, board door to right and inserted door to central bay, stone-coped gable. West side has 3-bay arcade with square brick piers, C20 lintels and fascia replacing farmer arches, boarded infill to left bay, open passage to right, with pair of panelled doors and 2-pane fanlights, that to central bay beneath a yellow brick round arch, that to right in a recessed panel beneath a round arch with ashlar key and hoodmould. Similar keyed arch to open passage alongside Refreshment Rooms. Clocktower: square on plan, 4 stages. Timber, with red brick to first stage, and cast iron balcony, clock and cresting. First stage: moulded plinth to west side, moulded timber angle pilasters with floral ornament to tops, board door to west side in keyed architrave beneath panelled recess, recessed panels to north side [probably former door) in key architrave. Plain C20 weatherboarding to second stage. Third stage has angle pilasters, pairs of recessed panels to each side containing raised keyhold-shaped panels with small circular windows. Ornate cast-iron brackets supporting miniature balcony with single rail carried by ornate posts with finials. Top stage has ornate-cast-iron clockfaces with Roman numerals, in cast-iron surrounds with foliate motifs, moulded wooden cornice, scrolled cast-iron cresting above each side, and diagonally-set openwork cast-iron ogee spire supporting an ornate central finial with crown and windvane. Adjoining section: north side, facing platform, of 3 bays with narrower central bay, pilasters, C20 lintel and fascia, plate-glass door and windows; east side, facing passage alongside Refreshment Rooms, has twin round-headed keyed arches to right with recessed panels containing window and half-glazed panelled door and 2-pane overlight beneath round arches, recessed section to right with 4-pane sash and panelled door with 2-pane overlight beneath round arches. South side of range has C20 rebuilt shop section with rounded angle to south west, hipped roof. Passage between Refreshment Room and Clocktower sections has C20 4-bay gabled glass roof. Interior of Refreshment Rooms contains attached square columns, with mirror side panels and roundel ornament, rising full height to moulded cornice; ribbed roof with wrought-iron ties with ornate pendant drops at intersections. Early illustrations of the station show a rounded hipped pavilion roof to the open passage, the clocktower with an arch on the south side of the bottom stage and a miniature balcony to a short, panelled second stage, and ornate ironwork decoration to the Refreshment Rooms roof.


Listing NGR: TA3065209074

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.