This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9773 / 51°58'38"N
Longitude: -0.3352 / 0°20'6"W
OS Eastings: 514443
OS Northings: 232288
OS Grid: TL144322
Mapcode National: GBR H5F.S3V
Mapcode Global: VHGNK.4KNK
Entry Name: Hammond's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1175235
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163144
Location: Pirton, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Pirton
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pirton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
PIRTON BURGE END LANE
TL 13 SW (East side)
1/134 No. 2
9.6.52 (Hammond's Farmhouse)
Farmhouse. Early C16 former open hall house; late C16 W wing;
heightened, and rebuilt with E crosswing, stair turret and 2-storeys
porch in early C17 probably by John Hammond; repaired c.1900; panelling
from upper rooms taken to Rectory Farmhouse in 1930s. Timber frame,
exposed on 1st floor with red brick infill, ground floor old red brick
(with one course of headers to four of stretchers), old red tile roofs.
An irregular 2-storeys, L-shaped house facing S, with a 3-bays E
crosswing projecting to front and gabled porch of equal projection in
the angle in line with the large internal chimney built in the old
cross-passage and a gabled stair turret at rear. Lower 2-storeys W wing.
S front has 3-light flush casement windows on each floor, original
moulded bargeboards with pendants to porch and gable of E wing, 2-lights
window to upper floor of porch with 4-centred arched doorway and turned
baluster like mullions to window on W side formerly unglazed.
Close-studding in upper floor. Cyma moulded course to top of base to
both chimneys but rectangular shaft with corbelled top to main internal
chimney, and 3 diagonal square shafts to large chimney projecting on E
side of E wing. Large ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed window in
rear wall of W wing. Interior has exposed timbers, with symmetrical
tension braces and sockets for upper end bench supports in W wall of
central room. Inserted ovolo-moulded axial floor beam. 2 panel
ovolo-moulded cross-beams in E wing with large plain fireplace probably
for kitchen use. Peg-holes in timber lintel to hall fireplace suggest a
timber-framed chimney preceded the late C17 brick chimney in the former
cross-passage. Elaborate roll moulded axial beams in W wing with lower
floor level. Ovolo-moulded 4-centred fireplace with jamb stops to
chamber over E wing, which has an arch-braced roof truss with central
pendant. Chamber over hall shows long straight braces to the tie-beam,
swept-jowled posts and clasped purlins on a collar. Fine closed string
stair with square newels, ogee finials, and symmetrical turned
balusters. Sun fire insurance mark No. 270506 on LH corner post of
porch.(RCHM (1911)164: VCH (1912)45: Pevsner (1977)270: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL1444332288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings