This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7277 / 52°43'39"N
Longitude: 1.3627 / 1°21'45"E
OS Eastings: 627154
OS Northings: 319758
OS Grid: TG271197
Mapcode National: GBR WGH.WX7
Mapcode Global: WHMT2.XP1Q
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 10 May 1961
Last Amended: 16 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1177913
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228151
Location: Coltishall, Broadland, Norfolk, NR12
Civil Parish: Coltishall
Built-Up Area: Coltishall
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Coltishall with Great Hautbois
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2719 COLTISHALL CHURCH STREET (south)
8/18 Parish Church of St.
10.5.61 John the Baptist.
(Formerly listed as
Church of St. John
Parish church, largely rebuilt in 1865, but with C15 tower, porches and Cll
fragments in the north wall. Built of flint with stone dressings. Thatch
and lead roof. West tower, north porch, south aisle, south porch, nave, chancel
and south vestry. 4 stage tower with diagonal buttresses and flushwork base
course. Perpendicular west door with fauna in the spandrels. Flushwork panels
each side of the door and frieze above. 3-light west window with Perpendicular
tracery and flanked by niches. Traceried square sound hole with hood mould.
2-light belfry openings, with Perpendicular tracery. Battlemented flushwork
parapet. North porch with diagonal buttresses, Perpendicular north doorway
with attached shafts and spandrel panels. Niche over doorway with pedestal
and nodding ogee canopy. 2-light north and east window with rectangular hood
moulds and label stops. Rebuilt parapet gable. South porch has diagonal
buttresses, south entrance and parapet gable. C19 lean-to on west side of
porch next to aisle. 5 bay south aisle with 4 C19 2-light windows and stepped
buttresses. North nave wall, at its western end contains Roman tile fragments
and 2 double splayed circular windows under the eaves. C19 circular window
inserted below them. 4 C19 2-light windows. to east. 3-light east window with
intersecting tracery. Gable kneelers, have carved stone grotesque heads.
Evidence that east parapet heightened. Brick wall monument with pediment,
dated 1738, on east wall to Jessop Chamberlayn and his wife. Mainly C19
interior. Double, traceried C15 west door to tower. Tower arch with compound
mouldings with attached shafts, late C16 tapered twisted balusters to ringing
gallery. C14, 4 bay south arcade with quatrefoil piers with fillets and fillets
diagonally between the shafts. Rood loft stairs in north nave wall. Piscina
with ogee arch in south aisle wall. C13 lancet in south chancel wall. Restored
screen based on C15 fragments within it. Triple sedilia with arcade of cusped
arches. Square Norma-n font, with blind arcade set on 5 columns. Monument
to John Chapman died 1718. Inscribed tablet between Corinthian columns and
two putti with entablature topped by an urn. Other C18 monuments to H. Palmer
and Henry Smith.
Listing NGR: TG2715419758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings