This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7356 / 51°44'8"N
Longitude: -1.6362 / 1°38'10"W
OS Eastings: 425219
OS Northings: 204163
OS Grid: SP252041
Mapcode National: GBR 5TV.155
Mapcode Global: VHC05.LMCV
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199110
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253435
Location: Broadwell, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Broadwell
Built-Up Area: Broadwell (West Oxfordshire) B
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Broadwell with Kelmscott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP2404-2504 BROADWELL VILLAGE STREET
8/121 Church of St. Peter and St.
Church. C12 with C13 alterations, including bell-chamber and spire, transepts,
south porch, north chapel, and remodelling of chancel. Much restored 1873, as
dated on rainwater heads, by E.G. Bruton. Coursed rubble limestone with plain
tile roofs. Cruciform plan with south porch and north chapel. West tower is of 3
stages with C12 pilaster buttresses to 2 lower stages, and trefoil-headed single
lights to mid stage. Later door to stairs in south-west corner. C13 bell-chamber
has tall 2-light windows with plate tracery, blocked below transoms. Similar
gabled lucarnes at base of fine ashlar spire. Spire is octagonal and has small
corner buttresses composed of crocketed finials and horizontal flying struts.
Short nave has one bay of large 3-light Perpendicular windows, that to north
almost full-height with carved angel stops to hoodmould. C12 south doorway, much
restored, has 3 nook-shafts with carved capitals to each jamb, and semi-circular
arch with dogtooth and chevron ornament and tabbed roll-moulding. Gabled south
porch with double-chamfered arch on imposts, trefoil-headed single light above,
and stone side benches. North door of nave is also C12, but small, with single
roll-moulding. South transept has C13 south window with 3 trefoil-headed lights,
and 2 early C19 memorial tablets on east wall. North transept is of ashlar, with
moulded plinth and parapet, buttresses, and slit windows to north-east stair
turret. Lead roof. Perpendicular 3-light windows. North chapel also has moulded
parapet and lead roof, the east wall with C13 window with 3 trefoil-headed
lights, the north wall with late C15 3-light window. Chancel has small
buttresses and moulded sill string. In south wall are a lowside window and 2
2-light traceried windows, one C13, the other C14. 3-light east window is C19.
interior is much restored and stripped of plaster. Fine tower arch is C12, with
2 roll mouldings on moulded impost bands, the jambs having shafts with scalloped
capitals and zig-zag ornament. Arches between nave and transepts and chancel are
C13, that to north transept on large semi-circular piers with highly restored
stiff-leaf capitals, the other arches on shafts with moulded capitals. C19 nave
roof on restored stone corbels with carved heads. South transept has good C13
piscina with trefoil head, moulded arch on shafts, and carved foliage gable, and
image stand with corbel and arched head in south-east corner. North transept has
internal stair turret to former upper chamber, recess with 4-centred arch in
north wall, and original moulded corbels supporting C19 roof. Double
hollow-chamfered arch to north chapel, the south jamb on chapel side containing
a tall narrow recess with rebated arch, possibly once a cupboard for banner
staves. Chapel has good C15/C16 roof of moulded timbers on variously carved
stone corbels. C13 arch to chancel. Chancel has cusped rere-arches to east
window and centre window of south wall. South wall also has aumbry, arched
piscina with C19 basin on shaft, and window-seat sedilia. In north wall are 3
shallow C15/C16 niches with 4-centred heads, and a low rectangular recess with
piscina. Fittings: C12 stone font with quatrefoil basin on shafted stand, the
shafts with moulded bases and strings and scalloped capitals, the basin with
nailhead frieze and a long carved head between lobes on east side. Carved and
painted wooden panel in north transept has arms of James I and date 1622, and is
re-set in pedimented surround dated GR 1829. Other fittings and glass are C19.
Monuments: north chapel has fine stone wall tablet to John Huband 1668, in
richly moulded surround with festooned side scrolls and swan-neck pediment. In
north transept is a marble wall tablet to Sophia Colston 1802, with obelisk, urn
and putti, signed by Williams of New Road, London. South transept contains 2
large marble wall tablets, one to Edward Colston 1825, with draped sarcophagus,
signed by C. Lewis of Cheltenham, the other to Thomas Edwards 1790, signed by R.
Cooke of London.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p488-90)
Listing NGR: SP2522004168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings