This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5703 / 51°34'13"N
Longitude: 0.7247 / 0°43'29"E
OS Eastings: 588925
OS Northings: 189230
OS Grid: TQ889892
Mapcode National: GBR YBQ.MQ
Mapcode Global: VHKHF.HSZL
Entry Name: Sutton Hall
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1321993
English Heritage Legacy ID: 123292
Location: Sutton, Rochford, Essex, SS4
Civil Parish: Sutton
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Rochford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
SUTTON SUTTON ROAD
TQ 88 NE
11/319 Sutton Hall
House. C14 origin, considerably altered and rebuilt C16 with additions and
later alterations. Timber framed, red brick faced, north wing weatherboarded.
Red plain tiled roofs, lower range to right and rear ranges. 2 rear left and
external right chimney stacks to main range, stack to rear range. 2 storeys and
attics. Parapet and parapet verges. Pilasters to right and left of main range.
7:1 window range of small paned vertically sliding sashes, segmental heads. Off
centre right pedimented porch, capitals and bases to pilasters and circular
columns, moulded frieze. 4-panelled door with top light. 2 Fire Insurance
plaques above door. Internally there are remains of the original frame with
heavy jowled storey posts, cambered tie beams and arched bracing to walls. The
roof was rebuilt, probably C16, the original timbers are sooted and were arch
braced to the purlin. To the rear is a C16 extension, possibly a stair turret
and another small stair turret is jettied at tie beam level with original barge
boards. Extensive improvements were carried out early C18 including the central
rear extension. Details of this period include panelled doors, architraves,
fireplace surrounds and some sash windows. Some good C16 and C17 doors remain,
some with original ironmongery, a selection of C17 and later panelling and some
fine circa 1600 bolection moulded panels facing the C16 rear chimney stack. C18
home of Chester Moor Hall, the maker of the first achromatic telescope. RCHM 2.
Listing NGR: TQ8892589230
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings