History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

39 and 40, Bridge Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Godalming, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1864 / 51°11'10"N

Longitude: -0.6099 / 0°36'35"W

OS Eastings: 497250

OS Northings: 143935

OS Grid: SU972439

Mapcode National: GBR FD2.GML

Mapcode Global: VHFVT.CFYW

Entry Name: 39 and 40, Bridge Road

Listing Date: 18 December 1947

Last Amended: 1 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1352703

English Heritage Legacy ID: 291295

Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Godalming

Built-Up Area: Godalming

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Godalming

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Godalming

Listing Text

GODALMING BRIDGE STREET
SU 9743 NW
(north west side)
13/26
Nos 39 and 40
18.12.47
(formerly listed with
Nos 37 and 38)
GV
II

Former Brewery grain store. C17, probably mid, of 2 builds; C20
addition and alterations. Timber-framed with brick infill and rubblestone
plinth; plain tile roofs. No 40 on left of 2 storeys, 3 framed bays, with
cross-wing (No 39) on right projecting to rear of 3 storeys; 2-storey C20 out-
shut addition in angle. Road front: stone plinth. Timber frame comprises sole
plate (to No 40), posts, studs, rails and wall-plates forming small square
panels infilled with brick. Each section has a set of double doors with a
taking-in hatchway above, and another to top floor of No 39, the three panels
above this open and with ledge. Half-hipped roof to No 39. Right return (No
39): timber frame as before, with two arched braces from posts to wall plate at
eaves; various small-pane windows set in panels. Left return: No 40 has door-
way, later-first floor window, and small eaves opening on right; C20 outshut on
left not of special interest. Interior: on ground floor, large-scantling
cross-beams and joists, the former with carpenters' marks and some with good
stops to chamfers; cross-wing (No 39) side-wall removed to form continuous open
space with C20 addition, but mortices in soffit of wall plate indicate position
of former timbers. Cross-wing (No 39) has first floor gypsum floor set on wide
floorboards, with various trap doors; butted board wall between this and No 40;
charred roof timbers and some replaced (following mid C20 fire), 3 original
queen-strut roof trusses at rear end, and one collared truss at front end;
square section ridge-piece. Roof of No 40 has 2 queen-post trusses (timbers
reused) and 2 collared rafter trusses at right end, adjoining No 39. Large-
scantling rafters flat side down; no ridge-piece. This site was owned and
occupied by a mealman and maltster who bequeathed the malthouse in 1689 (Jon
Janaway, pers. comm.).


Listing NGR: SU9725043935

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.