History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Schoolhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Ampton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3068 / 52°18'24"N

Longitude: 0.736 / 0°44'9"E

OS Eastings: 586623

OS Northings: 271152

OS Grid: TL866711

Mapcode National: GBR RFL.6XB

Mapcode Global: VHKCY.P8YZ

Entry Name: Old Schoolhouse

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376931

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284199

Location: Ampton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Ampton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ingham St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ingham

Listing Text

TL 87 SE AMPTON THE STREET

2/3 Old Schoolhouse

14.7.55
GV II

Former Charity School. Dated 1705: a Latin inscription on the front
commemorates the founding of the school by Sir James Calthorpe. 2 storeys and
attics. Colour-washed brick front, flint with red brick dressings to sides and
rear. String course, stone copings to gable ends, plaintiled roof. 4 window
range: C20 casement windows with hood-moulds. 4 dormers with hipped roofs.
Central 6-panelled door. Later 2-storey wing at rear in red brick. In 1692
Sir James Calthorpe conveyed property for the maintenance of a school for 6
poor boys between the ages of 7 and 14 years, from Ampton and the neighbouring
parishes. The endowment was subsequently enlarged by other bequests, and the
number of pupils increased. They wore blue caps and blue coats with the
monogram 'J.C.' on the front. The Latin inscription reads "MDCCV JACOBUS
CALTHORPE ARM. HOSPITIUM HOC PUERORUM MELIORI AEVO D.D.D.Q DISCE LIBROS
CALAMOS NUMEROS HIC FRUGIS IN ANNOS COPIA NE DUBIAE FLUITES SPE PENDULUS
HORAE". It later became a National School.


Listing NGR: TL8662371152

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.