This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8874 / 52°53'14"N
Longitude: -1.3915 / 1°23'29"W
OS Eastings: 441038
OS Northings: 332391
OS Grid: SK410323
Mapcode National: GBR 7GP.WJL
Mapcode Global: WHDH1.LPL9
Entry Name: Elvaston War Memorial
Listing Date: 20 January 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440918
Location: Elvaston, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE72
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Elvaston
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Elvaston-cum-Thulston-cum-Ambaston St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Derby
First World War memorial, unveiled 1923, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands on the corner of Main Road and Silver Lane in a small hedged enclosure. It comprises a rough-hewn Celtic wheel cross on a tapering shaft, set on a three-stage octagonal base. Inscribed on the front of the shaft is 1914-1918/ REMEMBER/ ALL YE/ WHO PASS THIS WAY/ (NAMES)/ DIED FOR ENGLAND. Added on the uppermost stage of the base in the same style is 1939-1945/ (NAMES). The enclosure has a stone kerb to the front with three steps to the centre.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Elvaston as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial, which cost circa £100, was unveiled on 30 May 1923 by the Countess of Harrington and dedicated by the Bishop of Derby. It commemorates 15 local servicemen who died in the First World War. Following the Second World War the names of two men who died in that conflict were added.
Elvaston War Memorial, on the corner of Main Road and Silver Lane, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a substantial stone wheel-head cross.
Other nearby listed buildings