This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9855 / 51°59'7"N
Longitude: -3.3327 / 3°19'57"W
OS Eastings: 308576
OS Northings: 232727
OS Grid: SO085327
Mapcode National: GBR YR.K3Z2
Mapcode Global: VH6BT.6C09
Entry Name: Glyn Celyn
Listing Date: 29 November 1995
Last Amended: 31 March 2005
Source ID: 17921
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To W of A470, approximately 1km SW of Felinfach, in its own grounds.
Community: Felin-fach (Felin-fâch)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Late Georgian country house built c. 1830-5 for the Rev. Charles Griffith (1805-86), Prebendary of Brecon. The stables are dated 1835, all marked on 1846 Talachddu Tithe map. Owned by the Lloyd-Griffith family until c. 1900 when sold to the Beor-Roberts family, owners to the 1960s, then sold to painter, Denis Matthews, sold again 1975.
The house is a well-designed late Georgian villa of architectural quality, possibly designed by Robert Lugar, who had numerous commissions in the Brecon area in the early C19.
Two storeys, pink-brown ashlared sandstone with bandcourse between floors, and plinth, shallow-pitch slate roofs with deep bracketed eaves, large stone chimneys. Entrance front faces roughly SE. Central recessed bay between 2 bays with pedimented gables; 12-pane sash windows to first floor, larger 12-pane sashes to ground floor. Central enclosed porch with Doric pilasters, double-leaf entrance doors with lozenged overlight; windows to sides. To L, lower 2-storey block with two 12-pane sash windows to first floor, two larger 12-pane sash windows to ground floor. NE front faces garden. Three windows with, to L, splayed bay with 16-pane sash window to first floor, and on ground floor, tripartite window consisting of large 12-pane sash flanked by narrow 1-pane sashes; to centre, 12-pane sash window to each floor; to R, shallow square bay with 16-pane sash window to first floor, and on ground floor, tripartite window consisting of large 12-pane sash flanked by narrow 4-pane sashes. Gable end to NW is blind with pedimental gable.
To rear, lower 2-storey block of 5 windows, rendered with gabled block at right angles, return to SW has projecting chimney flanked by 12-pane sash windows. Rear of house is rubble with small-pane sash glazing but arched sash lights staircase; conservatory between wings.
Porch leads to lobby with archway flanked by Doric columns. Hall with simple cornice; original panelled doors and doorcases to ground floor rooms. To rear L of hall, wooden staircase with open string, stick balusters, wooden rail; half landing lit by arched sash window. To L of hall, study with marble fireplace; rear hall cornice with Gothic arcading, marble fireplace with Tucor arch. To R of hall, drawing/sitting room has original ceiling roses, cornice with acanthus frieze, marble fireplace, coved walls to window bay; broad doorway (doorcase and panelled jambs) to smaller sitting room, also with marble fireplace. Dining room (now library) has original ceiling roses, cornice with floral frieze, grey marble fireplace, panelled shutters to windows. Upstairs rooms retain most of original panelled doors, simple cornices, fireplaces. Simpler service rooms and stair in rear wings.
Included at II* as a fine small Georgian country house with well-preserved interiors.
Other nearby listed buildings